+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: December Journal

Spring peepers were peeping here this morning. Thought I missed maple season. I'll take the nice weather. It would be nice to hunt some in the snow but I could do with out it after that. A good friends two boys are both home this week, they got a nice buck out back tonight. Very happy for them, both are Navy Cops home for a week. First buck for the one, the other hasn't been hunting in six years. I have a feeling he'll get one in the morning. Made for a great photo.

A few more loads of wood and I'm set for this season. Only have 100 on gravity one main line won't take much to check, fix and wash it could almost do it all in half a day right before I set taps. So other then ordering a few things, some cleaning and pluging in the taps when it's time I'm ready!!!!
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

Messed up weather for sure. I have a few red maples with buds on them. Never seen that before in December. Fall tapping is turning out to be lost with the weather. Glad I only put out a few test buckets and was waiting too get more taps in when they started producing. I think when winter hits it is gonna hurt this year. We have been to lucky so far to get away with it. Oh well bring it on.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

High temp of 65 here this afternoon. Not sure how much rain we got this am but sent all the small streams around us over the banks. Everything is waterlogged. Hope the woods dry out bit soon.
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

going to try and pull some wood today, but if the woods are too wet, its hanging tubing time for me...

still need to finish RO room, run the plumbing for the RO , find 1000 gallons of stainless storage, etc... might be my own "honey-do list" if I don't watch out...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

trees are budding around here also a bit. I have rose bushes that are stiff green and we are still eating broccoli and cabbage from the garden that grew back.
    If any of you do it yourself kind of guys need a small welder I figured out how to make a homemade one the last couple of weeks that actually works. I have absolutly nothing in the way of cash put into makeing it so far except the cost of one welding rod.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

It is almost here, we got almost a foot of snow over night. Forcast is for more throughout the weekend. Yesterday 40's today 20's. 3 months and the sweet will be flowing..
    Martin
    2008 1st yr 5 taps 2 steam table pans
    2009 20 taps 4 steam table pans
    2010 83 taps 28x72 arch W/Thru Tubes
    2011 83 taps Thru tube
    2012 83 taps Thru tube pan
    2015 Added single post homebuilt RO
    http://photobucket.com/maplefarmer
    N 44° 5' 2.0239"

southdevonbeef Guest

After work yesterday I went and looked at/bought a 600 gallon sunset bulk tank for the bush. Got it for a great price and the guy included delivery to my farm! Then I drove about an hour and picked up my SP22 vac pump I bought on e-bay monday night. Got home around 10:30PM. Things are starting to come together here in the sugarbush. Hanging wires and tubing this weekend. Bulk tank will be here sat around noon. Mike

we got 4" of rain yesterday i didnt even try to go up in the woods, fearing the tractor would sink out of sight or i would make bad ruts and damage the root systems of my trees, i didnt even try it on the 4 wheeler either, i moved some fire wood into the shed that was about it, not very productive,
    Dan O'Shaughnessy

2007 jd5203
    Husqvarna 61, (2)Husqvarna 272XP, 23 and finally getting back into it after 2 long years away

DanO

finally done!!!! got all the lines run!!! final count will be 267 on gravity tubing and 10 buckets!!! Ahhh feels good to be done with that. stock tanks are almost plumbed just need to make some covers, make a wood rack for the sugar house and I think thats it. Then to tend to the business end and get that all squared away. (I hate that part because I don't know much about it)

and get ready for snow and holiday stuff get the snow blower on the tractor I put in a 30'X60' ice rink in the front yard this is my 3rd year so I go a little more every year this year lights!!!

oops just walked away from the woodstove for a few minutes to check the trader and got the stack temp up to 900f. I can smell it when that happens oh well it needed a good hot burn anyway.

maybe some snow on sat night here, after 60's yesterday!!
    Last edited by red maples; 12-04-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Okay I seen it all today. With all the flooding the grounds pretty soft in places. Drove by where for some reason they are drilling a well beside the river and these 3 guys were doing something in the middle of the feild. Turns out one of them sunk up to his butt in the mud and the other two were trying to pull him out. They mover the drill rig away from the bank of the river today also.
    3 day weekend due to test's at school so i can get lots done hopefully. really need to catch up somewhat this coming Xmas holiday also. 2 semaines of freedom to do something that dosn't include passe compose.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast