+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 degree or straight?

Default 90 degree or straight?

Setting up a new rig (2x6) it's going to be a pain in the *** to poke a hole through the roof on the slope for a straight pipe. In the past I've always used 2, 90 degree bends in the pipe to the outside wall. No problem with draw. The logs practically were sucked out of my hands. What's the verdict straight or are the bends o.k.?
    "It's a sickness."

I vote for a straight run.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I'd go straight up but if you say you have used 2 90s and been satisfied then do it that way. You can always re do it later if it doesn't work as good as you like it to
    You can get roof jacks made for your pitch.
    Keith

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I say if the draw is fine and the hole is there why not use it. Bends only slow down the draw and sometimes thats a good thing. Are we not always talking about dampners to keep the heat in the arch.

I know with wood furnaces it is often better to use two 45 degree fittings to lessen the creosote buildup in the pipe, not sure if the same would apply. I would normally say to go with a straight run though to increase your draft. Dampers are for wood stoves.
    25,000 on vacuum.
    6x16 Leader oil fired with steam-away.
    H2O Supra 8 RO
    34 x 44 Sugarhouse.

Get a roof jack and go with a straight pipe. The evaporator will like it better.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I understand the idea of good draft, but what if you had a blower. There really isn't any natural draft. Couldn't you just speed up the blower for more air? I too am thinking about two 90's with a blower. It would really simplify things.

I think about how hot those elbows get and any build up in them.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I have two 90s in my stove pipe but I burn oil. I have never had a draft problem. I would say that 45s would work better. With the amount of heat (flames in some cases) that goes up the stack I don't think you would have much creosote build up.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

hey steve.

you got yourself a new rig thats great. what did you get? new or used?

I know your concern is the metal roof. So check with the manufacturer that made the roof and see what they have for hot stack roof flashing...they usually have have some thing that fits easily to the that companies style of metal roof. and are usually pretty easy to install. and the hole is really not that bad...but Like others have said if 2 90's work don't worry about it as long as its long enough it shouldn't be problem. It wasn't in the past? right!!

Just make sure you get the right size because alot of them are sized for insulated pipe. which is usually 2 inched bigger than noninsulated.

Good luck with that new rig.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast