+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk tank fittings ???

Default Milk tank fittings ???

Here is a quick question for you, I have a 200gal milk tank that has a vlave on the outlet. the tank side of the valve has what I think is called a tri-clove clamp or something like that. It is 1 1/2". The other end of the valve has some othe type of thread. I get a large nut with a block of plate with it.

SO what and how do I attach say 1" pvc pipe to the outlet. I haven't been able to find anything that fits the treading. I was thinking that I should just take the valve off and get a fitting that goes right in the 1 1/2" tri-clove on the tank.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

I use a no-hub connector over the flared fitting on the tank end- the ones you see at the hardware store that have a hose clamp on either end, made out of black rubber- some are designed to reduce in size, so you should be able to get that 1 1/2" to drop down to 1".

I think they are called fernco couplers
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Dennis I don't know if you have any Tractor Supply Company (TSC) stores around you but they have alot of milk tank fittings. They had everything I needed to fit my milk tank. Including the what I think you are describing as camlocks. Bascom's carries a line of the stuff as well. Here is a link to the fittings http://www.bascommaple.com/store/ind...t=35&offset=12 if they are what I am thinking.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I have taken all my blank ends to a fabricator, who drilled them out and attached a 1" nipple to them. some of them did crack at the welds though. I was told that the density of the blank is hard to weld to and the fact that they are SS makes it even more difficult. Most of the ones that cracked I fixed with JB Weld but the last one the neighbor took it home and silver soldered it. It works better than any of them.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Maplehound I was contemplating getting a pipe tap and threading the inside of mine to take a conventional fitting until I found everything at TSC. I still think it would of worked out fine. JB weld on a sap tank, I think I would replace that with solder. That stuff is awesome but it is a chemical based compound.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef

The fitting that is part of the tank isn't threaded at all, it is a flat surface that a flat rubber washer goes against which then the valve goes against. There is a clamp that goes around this joint and holds them together.
    The threaded part is on the none tank side of the valve. I am not sure of the thread size of thread count.

I do like the idea of the black rubber fitting, I have seen those at Lowes and HD, just never thought of them until it was mentioned here.

The CamLoc's would be great, quick and simple, are the threads on them compatable with?

If I get a chance when I get home I will take a pic and post it here.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Dennis- All Ive ever done is use the fernco connectors too and they work great. A lot of the tanks take the two inch size I think and what I do is threadtape the threads like crazy and slide the fernco on and clamp it where the threads are and then the other end goes right to the 1.5 pvc then you can do anything you want. I usually do that and then put an inch and a half ball valve right at the tank and all set. Ive actually never had one leak yet and its quick and cheap. Theron

I use ferncos up to 12 inchs and they work great. I would say a two inch one would be cheaper by a long shot.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Default got the anwer.

tahe an 1.25 hose barb to pipe fitting the plastic ones . heat it up with a torch and take a rubber matel and tap it into the bulk tank fitting . then you can thread any fittting on the other end .this has worked great for me.

Dennis the setup you described is the same as mine and the camlocks are what clamps onto it. I really like the fact that with two quick pulls of the cams the pipe is off and in my hand. I don't have to get a screwdriver and loosen any hose clamps or unscrew a pipe. Quick and simple and makes for a faster cleanup. I had the rubber fernco adapter on it before I switched it over. It worked fine like that but a pain to remove and clean.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast