+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV lights

Default UV lights

Just was wondering if any of you have ever built a UV light to suspend over your tanks? After loosing a lot of sap due to warm days and too little time to boil I thought that maybe I could build a light into the tank and treat the sap this way. Thanks Jeff
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

yes I have a UV light hanging over my head tank. I only use it to keep the tank cleaner since it is a pain to clean. Anyways it will not penetrate the sap very deep to kill bacteria. That is why a regular uv light disperses the sap around the bulb so that only a thin layer of liquid passes by.
    Before I had a light hanging over the tank sides would get slimmy quickly. Now it stays clean for a long time.
    I don't think it will help you to keep sap from spoiling though. You would have to go with a conventional UV light
    Keith

I think I may have found a light to try It is a 72 watt UV light for aquariums
    for $159.00 it will do 1600 gph so I thought if I slow the flow down I should get a pretty good kill Any thoughts?
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Aquarium suppy places have some of the best prices for UV lights. Check online. I bought one from a place in Calif. and hooked a small submersible fountain pump to it and just keep recirculating the sap from bottom to top through the type of light I bought and on warm days, (say around 50) I have kept sap for a day or so, that boiled out light amber. I used a small pump because the light is rated for a certain flow to achieve good bacteria kill. I think at the time I bought my light I paid $125 and a comparable preforming light at a maple dealer at the time was $699.00.I say comparable because they both flow the same but my light has a plastic housing, where the dealer one is stainless. If for some some reason you have to store your sap for an extended time (and I'm not saying 3-4 days but then some have) the light will keep the bacteria down, for sure. Check the Proctor Maple site for research they have done on UV lights.
    Last edited by Homestead Maple; 10-27-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

+ Reply to Thread