+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 233334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Bigsap Warning 2010

Dennis- Maybe you will have to run your pump up to your dads. Might not be too bad if you dont have a ton of sap to haul. Still a pain though. When you go to work are you overlooking anything along the way like big roadsides somewhere something like that. Other thing is it only takes a 300$ honda engine and you can put that pump anywhere. Marty- What are you hoping to get out of the force five once you get it all dialed in? Ive been working real steady down here most of the summer. Im hoping the shed will be more or less ready to rock and roll in a couple of weeks then I can go back to the woods and stay there. Having fun getting everything all tuned up. I wish I had time to put more taps out but Ive opted to just keep getting my stuff better and better. With my buddys taps we should have a little over 6000 taps coming to my shed and that is enough to make a lot of syrup if we do a good job. Cant wait. Dennis- Other thing Ive thought of that could work for you when you drive to town is there a place like a park or somewhere you could put a bunch of buckets on big trees that might do pretty good just gravity some days right along the road? Theron

Heck yeah I been looking. There is quite a few spots along the way from work that I have been keeping my eye on. My buddy that lives about 4 miles away just bought some land and he has quite a few maples that he is going to allow me tap. I just need to stop over and walk it. Along the road they are norway's but as you go up into the woods there are more red's. I just got to be careful, he is a big hunter and I don't want to cause any problems with tubing.

I am leanin toward the stand of sugar's up at my dad's cabin. I just am not sure if I want to pump them on vac or just set it up for vac but let it run gravity for now. I picked up a nice surge alamo this spring at an auction I think it would be a nice pump up there. I just need make up an oil reclaimer for it.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Dennis-Maybe if nothing else you could tap the sugars gravity up there being its a ways a way and you get what you get and try to find something closer for the pump. I know down here Ive often thought that if I lived in town Id try to get a bunch of trees in town to put buckets on becouse there are huge ones all over you can drive right up to. Only thing is how do you get permission from all those people. Be tough but it would be a blast if you could do that. Just drive around and empty buckets right along the road. Wonder what the Norways do. I see them in town down here too. Must be trees that were planted becouse they look nice in the yards. Theron

On the way home from work this AM I took a quick look at my buddy's property and I might have a winner there. There is a few maples right at a cell tower gate that is on his property, very steep real good for gravity. Nice big pull off area from the main road.
    Later this week we are going to walk his property next to his driveway and see what maybe there. That area would be nice for a vac pump. It also is fairy steep so good either way.
    At some point I would like to tap the sugar's at dad's I know it would make his day. He has mentioned to me that he would even run up to empty the tank every other day or whenever he is free to do it. We'll see about that.

I would like to try and steer clear of buckets if I can, but I will if I have to. If I can end up with about 200 I will be happy.
    Last edited by Dennis H.; 08-24-2010 at 07:43 AM.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Default Norways

Quote Originally Posted by PATheron View Post
    Wonder what the Norways do. I see them in town down here too. Must be trees that were planted becouse they look nice in the yards. Theron
    I did one Norway last year in my parent's backyard, it produced about the same as the silver maple next to it. We tapped it late as a demonstration tree for the third grade class that came to learn about maple syrup.

I will be doing a couple more in my cousin's backyard next year.
    First year 2009
    18 taps on 12 trees
    boiled in 3 gal. pot on electric stove in garage
    111 taps on 93 trees
    boiling in 200 gal. stainless tank, wood fire
    3 sided sugar shack

Theron - We're expecting 240 USGPH from the Force 5 next season. We were never able to push it past 190 USGPH last year for a variety of reasons but the modifications Lapierre made should bring that rate up to the point where we have trouble keeping up with the RO.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Smile

Marty- Will you guys probly start the ro a little ahead if thats the case and run the concentrate open flow and pump some water out before you boil and then single pass it to what ever rate matches the evaperator? You might have to becouse if I tried to single pass my 600 at 250 gph I think Id probly only be around 4% Seems like If I went around 120 gph I could do 8% like it was made to do. You might have to get another post someday. TF- Thats neat about the Norways, theres a bunch in town and I always wondered what they would do. You could have a heck of a sugaring operation in some of these towns if you could hang buckets. Big trees all over. Theron

Smile

Guys- Im going to tell you guys something thats going to make you feel really smart and good about yourselves. Guess what I just discovered about my evaperator as I was putting it together in the shed today. Take a guess. What tiny little thing could a guy miss in his close inspection of his new 6 by 16 evaperator? Theron

Default I give up

I give up.what did you find?Should we cringe?
    625 Taps on Vacuum
    2 1/2 x 8 Dallaire
    200 Mempro Tec RO
    Lapierre tanks and Filter press

No, Its not bad its just funny. No guesses? Theron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 233334353637383940414243444546 LastLast