+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Bigsap Warning 2010

Thee(i don't wanna loose the goods)rrroooonnn,
    Don't worry about what the woman of the house says... after the last few years you know its just small talk, after all, your still at it!!! Spend like a drunken sailor, don't sweat it you know you will make it all back!!!

Ken, I will trade trees for new tubing! I have 10,000 taps worth I could spare here..

And(I love eating chinese)y
    Last edited by vtmaplemaker; 04-10-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Smile

Jerry- Im sure thats what well probly do. I hate the idea of pulling it out of there anyway. If I get to a spot where money is no object we will change it out with something real efficient and fast and well change the ro out too. Need to be able to single pass it right to 15 or 18 percent and then boil it as quick as its putting it out and well be getting somewhere. That costs a lot though so for now we do as we do. Ive got a good setup now other than my membranes slowing down every season. This next year Im focusing on that, acid washes or whatever I need to do to keep them perfect, and higher vac and neither one of those things costs much. I just need to keep learning to do a better job. When I started out the season I was getting rid of 900 gallons of water an hour. You can really get somewhere fast at that rate. I just have to learn how to keep it that good. Theron

Just wash,wash,wash. Remember the guy that takes the time to sharpen his chainsaw before it gets dull will have a bigger wood pile at the end of the day then the one that waits for the chainsaw to get dull before he sharpens it.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by 802maple View Post
    Remember the guy that takes the time to sharpen his chainsaw before it gets dull will have a bigger wood pile at the end of the day then the one that waits for the chainsaw to get dull before he sharpens it.
    Confucius also say: "He who does not hit dirt with chain does not have to sharpen chain as often."
    Last edited by farmall h; 04-12-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: sp
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

Jerry- I cleaned those ro's this year to the hilt. Im sure you would have been happy with what we did. They still declined in performance terreble though. I bought a ph meter other day Im hoping maybe that will help me some. Every day I used the ro's I washed them together to build heat with the cdl and ran the temp to 43 c. Then I rinsed the cdl with 800 gallons and the seprotech with 1500. Seems like that ought to be a good fix but still the decline. The sap was real bad though with it being so hot, Im sure that didnt help. Theron

Smile

BIG LEAVES!!!!! BIG LEAVES!!!! Just kind of picking up here at Pierce and Sons. Pulling taps, cleaning the sugarshed etc. Looking over my woods while I work. Looking like I may loose quite a few taps this year. I want to cut quite a few more of the cull trees out of my young stand. Real happy how those trees are looking. Also I want to eliminate some of the smaller double trees and make them singles. Got lots of ideas to improve my lines and I think I can make way more sap even though Im going to have a few less taps. Hope everyone is having fun. Theron

Woods management is huge. Taking a stand of young trees and getting them set to be 3.5%+ trees beats the H#** out of twice as many 2% trees.
    Its the original RO effect!

Doing similar work in Wisc, cleaning up, watching what the market is doing, working deals with the bucket bregade for next year, etc....

I cant wait until Spring '11
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

Smile

BIGSAPP!!!!! BIGSAPP!!! Just kidding just keeping myself in shape for next season. Still cleaning up here. Got some goals for this year. Would like to try to find a used oil rig to trade for, gonna get a better handle on maintaining my membranes and want to cut some trees out of a section of woods and upgrade the lines there. Lots to do. Hard to know where to start. Gonna try to beat Jerrys bucket averages this year if I can. Want to get my vac higher if nothing else. Got to start taking this stuff serious. Hope everyones having a good time. Whats everyone elses goals for the season? Any big plans? Theron

I think everyone on here would be happy with a normal weather year for the 2011 season, that would be the best thing we could all hope for.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Ther-Ilivesleepandeatmaple-on: You'd better buckle down and take things more serious because you've really been slacking the last few years! Then again, when you're dogging it you still go harder than most of us at full steam!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast