+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigsap Warning 2010

PAthdude, the dairy state thanks you for the support!!
    I wonder if you mixed in bisquick instead of DE you could just dump the mersh on the griddle and have an 'all in one' mix!?
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I am in the big sap catergory now also . Had a reasonable wensday and today was right up there so almost everything is full again. It probbably wont' flow tomorrow but will have lots of ice to gather as it's still warm here right now.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

I agree with Ennis Maple, this weekend especially the latter part of the weekend around here the sap should be running like crazy. Everyone better get caught up and get ready for the biggest runs of the season.
    Help relatives every year:
    A few hundred taps on 3/16 into 3/4" mainline
    Can't stop thinking maple, more fun, than work.

PATheron,
    Butter works but we found whipping cream worked better for us. We filled our old deformer bottles and boiled and sprayed. Mersh On.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Smile

Ok guys- Just came off a 48 hour freeze up. First real honest freeze in a month. Taps been in since January. Pumps been on since January. Gonna find out this afternoon if theres any life left in the holes. Hopefully itll run HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!!!!!!!! Thee(want to make some BIGSYRUP BAD) roon

Tried the pump for an hour yesterday afternoon. Froze about solid. No vacuum to some areas because of ice. Got about 2 dumps on the releaser in the hour and the temps were already going down. It was about 10 degrees an hour ago. Isn't supposed to break freezing point until noon. Hope for some little sap this PM and then tomorrow the real thing. Early in the week looks good but by the end of the week temps are supposed to be in the 60's and lows in the mid 40's. Anything after that will just be bonus. Looks like we will warm up as fast as Theron.
    Doug

Doug- Were going to be nip and tuck. Are you going to be able to overtake me? I think Im on barrell 22. Bearing down on 1200. Theee( is kind of nice making syrup in the summertime) roon

It will probably depend on this run. Weather doesn't look quite as good as it did a day or so ago but we are supposed to get a bit of rain and snow tomorrow night so that should help. I will be over 1100 today. I can probably beat you on Barrel numbers but some of mine are 30's and 40's. My dealer has assured me I can get more 30's if I need the space, hope I do Wood pile looks like it can make another 900 or so...Here's hoping the godess smiles and I run out.
    Doug

Smile

Doug- Were within 50 gallons of each other with probly the same weather. Now its going to come down to who can keep it in the pans. Probly be you. Theron

Smile

Gettin to where a guys got to earn it down here now. Just put through a couple thousand of gallons of cottage cheese through the R.O's. Have socks that go over the filters and had to stand there and change them every 10 minutes or so becouse of the slime. Once I get it through once then itll recirc and its a lot cleaner and itll quit sliming them up. Terreble numbers on the machines though. Probly doing irreperable damage to the membranes. I think there just about sick and tired of my bullcrap but a barrell is a barrell. What you gonna do. Might not be able to make syrup into August like I had hoped. Taps have done me right though running from January till April with two freezes. Seems like they could of done a little better for me but I guess I wont complain to much. Boil in the morning and hope the sap clears up a little next couple days. Going to be 70 by the end of the week. Thatll seem nice. These freezes really slow down production, frozen pipes, sap quits running at night. What a pain. Hope everyones doing good. Could MAYBE be winding down here at Pierce and Sons. Hopefully not. Theron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast