+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigsap Warning 2010

Kieth you can test the releaser by hooking the vacuum pump up to it and running a pipe from where the mainlines will connect to it into a tub of water. If there is nothing wrong with the releaser it should suck the water out of the tub and change sides and dump when the first chamber is full. If there is more than one port for the mainlines to connect to, plug off the ones that aren't being used. I would like to go over and see what you have to work with as far as the woods are concerned. We can do a labor swap thing so that we both get things done in our woods. We'll figure where to set up your tank and releaser, then figure out how to get the sap to the sugarhouse.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Smile

32- What kind of a pump do you have? If its a dairy maybe it doesnt really want to go much higher or if its a liquid ring maybe something going on? Im not sure everyone should buy tanker trailers but lots of tank is definitely good. Mine is not my own, its another fellas that lets me use it. Probly cost a fortune. Brandon- Thats what Ive told the kids, if they work hard and help me put it in Id give them some of the syrup. I dont see any better way of teaching kids to work. Most of the kids my age growing up were farm kids and they were always good workers. We used to have to help them do their chores before we could go play. My kids are fortunate to have a lot and I want them to grow up understanding what kind of effort it really does take to earn a living or have anything substantial. Im really looking foreward to season this year. Fun to see how Marty and Dave Y and Jeff all make out with their new rigs. Got the checkvalve spout thing going on. Lots of guys on here doing more every year. Be an exciting year. Theron

Theron,

Sounds like you are doing a great job and teaching them right. I grew up on a farm and miss it now, but fun getting back over there every chance I get to work around the sugarhouse which is on the corner of the farm I grew up on. Have fun with the boys, but don't burn them out. The way you are going, you might be doing this for a living in a few years and when you are old, the boys would be around to take over.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Theron will never get old!

Smile

Brandon- That is partly why Im doing it. Having my own business is a way for my family to make money that isnt depent on some company or the outside world. The way the economy is that makes me feel pretty good, if I was out of work or something Id still have the syrup plus when the kids get older its a good source of income for them to pay on college or even if they were out of work. Cant hurt anyway. Plus it just plain fun. Theron

Smile

Almost have all of the tubing done on the Booy bush as of yesterday. Ive just got to pull some one inch up tighter and its pretty well good. Then its drops and tank, releaser, etc. Next Im heading up above the house on a 500 tap run. Thats a neat run with nice trees and it will run into the shed releaser although its quite a long run too. That should give me 4500 taps. Once thats done Im going to go through my whole system and make everything complete and ready to go which will be quite a bit of work. If that pans out I got a good deal on a bunch of used mainline from my pal Richard and I and I think its enough to go up to another spot I can tap and maybe get 800 taps if I buy line to go with it and I can put them on a dairy pump but Ill have to see if time allows, I think it will. TAP COUNT IS GOING UP BOYS, WANT TO SEE THE BIGSAP!!!! Theron

Wonder if I should put up a Small Sap warning just to cover the butts of those of us that don't count our poulet before they hatch.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Smile

Guys- Dont want to be a broken record but just a little reminder that season is coming up pretty soon and we really need to be ready. I know you guys like to hunt and spend time with your family and things like that but I just want to say one little thing, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO!!!! ITS ALMOST SEASON!! TAP EVERY TREE YOU CAN GET PERMISSION TOO, DONT WASTE VALUABLE TIME. BIGSAPS COMING! Gotta keep you guys psyched up. I decided this year that my big goal is 2000 gallons of syrup but Ive changed my mind becouse I dont think thats realistic. Ive decided a more realistic number is 2500 baby. Im going for the BIGSYRUP! Theron

Theron- You're a whack job!!! I think it's time your wife brought home some Ritalin from the hospital and started feeding it to you. Hows' your dad doing? Is he on board with you still, or is he shaking his head like the rest of us????

For those of you that haven't been to Therons' yet, it would be hard for me not to go bonkers like he is. Every hillside and hedgerow are loaded with maple...Too much potential!!!
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

Jim Schumacher Guest

Theeeron. I'm trying to get into your photobucket to see your tanker...it's not working.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast