+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Bigsap Warning 2010

More than one machine is definitely great in case one breaks down. Wouldn't be easy, but at least doable.
    Theron, have you heard about the new Airablo machine Leader is marketing? Extra membrane with it's own pressure pump, working in series with an existing RO. It sounds pretty sweet to me, but is still quite a chunk of change! I need to get the 600 I have back up to speed before next season.
    Tim
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Tim- I hadnt heard of that. Whats wrong with the R.O. you have? Theron

I'm only getting like 450gph through it on startup, slowing to 300-325 after a couple hours sometimes. That's total, not just permeate. Permeate benchmarks only get to 420. Guess I need to send it for cleaning and see if it is the membrane, or if the pump is compromised.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Tim - Was it performing good last year when you started? If it did your just at the same point most everyone else is by the end of the year. Just send it in and have it professionally cleaned and it will be perfect. Thats one problem Im going to try to resolve this year too. Im going to try to get as perfect a proceedure to keep my membranes performing good all season as possable. Theron

Theron, I don't think it has performed like it should for at least the past couple seasons. Yeah, I definitely better send it in. To be honest, I just learned that the benchmark is only looking at permeat side, not adding both sides together. Therefore I really can't tell where I stood previous seasons. The prior owner gave me no records, but CDL cleaned it and it was 92 or 97% the last time they did it. I agree, gotta get more efficient for next season. I used a LOT of electricity recirculating because of poor flow rates.

Tim
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Default Bigsap

BIGSAP RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!! ALMOST SEASON!!!!! Been working steady down here in BIGSAP country. Been finetuning some of my older woods and working in the sugarhouse. Got the new evaperator in the shed as of today. Looks kind of like a Clidesdale horse in a dog coop. It did turn out nice but wow what a unit. Really looking foreward to season this year. Sounds like everyone is getting lots of work done. Theron

Holy Cow Theron is still alive and still living in up state PA!!

I thought he moved so he could work at the 7-11 where Elvis and Micheal Jackson now work!!

Good to hear that you could shoe horn that new rig into the sugarhouse, one of these days I need to make a trip up north to see this new baby.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Sounds good Dennis- Ive got to get down and check on your operation too. Anything happening with the two spots you were eyeing up down the road? Theron

Those 2 spots di not work out. The best one of the 2 I just can't get ahold of the guy or he won't reply back to me. I finally got him to return my call and we talked for about 10 mins he sounded like he was all for it and he asked me to fax him a letter describing what I wanted to do and he would get back with me, well that has been now 3 months! I am not holding out hope there. The stand of trees that I did tap just up the road, the guys grandson built his house there, I still probably could get in there but not sure to what extent.
    Then there was the stand that I got permission to tap this past year and right at the start of the season he put it up for sale! It never sold but re has once again up for sale. I was trying everything to buy it my self but the guy is really unrealist about it. He is asking $250,000 for 25 acres!!!! And when I gave him my offer and told him that this is what the bank was willing to lend for for that piece of ground he actually said to me that I needed to go to another bank! Wow!
    I haven't made any hardship with him yet so I am maybe hoping to still be able to tap those trees this coming season if he hasn't sold it.

I am working on lineing up a few roadside trees to add to what I have here on vac.

I just never thought that it would be this difficult to get people to allow me to tap maples on their land!
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by PATheron View Post
    BIGSAP RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!! ALMOST SEASON!!!!! Been working steady down here in BIGSAP country. Been finetuning some of my older woods and working in the sugarhouse. Got the new evaperator in the shed as of today. Looks kind of like a Clidesdale horse in a dog coop. It did turn out nice but wow what a unit. Really looking foreward to season this year. Sounds like everyone is getting lots of work done. Theron
    I was wondering how long it would take you to get fired back up again! Glad to hear you're continuing to improve things.

Lapierre sent a technician to tweak our Force 5 last week. I can't wait to see how it performs next spring! I continue to be very impressed by their customer service.

My brother and I plan to hit the bush this weekend to get started on our "To Do" list. We've got a lot of improvements planned and many have to get done before the snow flies because we can't get to certain areas of the bush with a vehicle in winter.

I found a good way to handle our hot water condensate from the steam hood. I bought a 55 gallon rain barrel and will put it up on a platform beside the evaporator. It comes with a drain on the bottom that will take a garden hose and will be great for washing misc things or filling a wash bucket. It also has an overflow drain that will help keep me from cursing as hot water floods the back of the sugar camp! It should help make life easier around the camp.

Sales have been strong recently and hopefully we can move the rest of the barrels out of the basement by Christmas! I hope everyone else is getting towards the end of their stock too.
    Last edited by ennismaple; 08-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast