+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magic Tree

Default Magic Tree

We were called to do a maple syrup demonstration at a local state park as part of their fall festival which included blacksmiths, bee keepers, broom making etc. Any way thought I would share an idea I did for anyone looking to help explain syrup making/tree tapping especially to children.

I cut a three foot section of hollow maple that had snapped in half a wind storm or two ago. In the hollow inside I put a section of 4 inch PVC with a cap on the bottom and secured it inside the tree. I then drilled a 7/16ths hole thru the tree all the way into the pvc (towards bottom) Then snake a piece of semirigid tubing through the hole into the pvc. Seal the hole in the pvc around the tubing. Attach the other end of the tubing to a tap and hammer into tree. Hang a bucket off your tap, fill the PVC with water and watch it drip. You'll probably have to obstruct the tap to a point where you only get drip...drip..drip (gum works).

Kids loved seeing the "magic tree" drip and you'll be surprsed how many parents comment that they can't believe a section of tree that small is still dripping

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Great idea for anyone doing exhibits or demonstrations... especially out of season. Thanks for sharing Mike.

Default Dripping sap

Very interesting idea. Another successful way to "tap" a tree is getting your hands on a "dripper" from a bird store (something like Wild Birds Unlimited or an independent store). They have a small dripper (birds are apparently attracted to dripping water?) with long lengths of tubing attached. I drilled through the tree and ran the black pipe up overhead. A small handle/shutoff controls the dripping and the water supply can be far from the tap. I put the end in a 7/16" rolled alum tap and it works really well.

Hurry Hill Maple Farm Museum in Edinboro PA

ps.Like we say......." the sap runs year round at Hurry Hill!"

I made a dripping spout by using an IV bag and the dripper. The little squeeze valve works really well at controlling the frequency.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

+ Reply to Thread