+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 414151617181920212223242526272829303132333444 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigsap Warning 2010

The frost heaves are some of the worst I remember. 2 things going into that. We had a 2 almost 3 weeks January thaw so they started eariler especially the big frost dips. And the state has been ignoring the 2 lane highways for 5 or 6 years min. Most much longer. They ground up 2 yr old top course on 101 for "stimulus work" but the road my parents are on hasn't been paved in 12 years.
    One thing about NY is your taxes suck, but you have amazing state roads, upstate at least.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

The Sap is running down here!! Finally!

It is looking like this week is going to be a good one for me. After all the cold and nasty weather that we have had it is about time. I have only made 2 gal of syrup so far and I am already a little over 2 weeks later than I started last year.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Default Where is Theron!!

Holy Crap! BIG SAP ALERT! The flood gates opened today for me. I can say that the season is here and ready to roll like it or not.

Got most of it boiled down this evening, going to work sucks it makes me close up shop early. The rest of the week look awesome so I might have to take a few days off at the end of the week to catch up.
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Smile

BIGSAPP!!!!! BIGSAPPP!!!!!! Got my first confirmed syrup count. Got a bigboy drum made yesterday. PENNSYLVANIA FANCY!!! Really is fancy too, 80% on light transmission and better taste than anything I made last year. Hope everyone is ready. Looks like good weather starting here this weekend. Hope everyone makes BIG SYRUP!!!!! Theron

Here in the central part of the state we have had 2 good days of BIG SAP!! For a small producer that just doubled his taps and evaporator size it is a bit much getting adjusted. I even doubled my storage capacity and that is full.
    6 year Backyard producer
    2 little sap haulers
    leader half pint clone, wood fired
    50 buckets or so
    http://photobucket.com/albums/x473/Sleauber/Turtle Creek Maple Syrup

Theres Theron I was getting worried, I thought I was going to have to make a run north to be sure he didn't get sucked into one of his vac's

This week is looking better every day!! Almost 50 by the weekend!!
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Smile

Update from Bigsap Inc.- Not doing much for sap here so far. Dennis and his area are doing great and up north the guys are doing great but here we have a foot of snow and things just keep kind of drizzling. It looks like starting saturday its going to get good here for at least a week maybe. Ive taken next week off and hope to make a bunch of syrup. Ive got all 5000 on vac give or take a few lats that are down and need fixing. Ive gotten the deleval 75 working well on the Booy bush with a 5 horse gas engine. Im real impressed on how thats working. Ive got to put in the dump station here at the house tonight to offload sap and also rig up my sap pump and truck tank and were ready to start hauling sap. That should have me all ready then its just tighten everything up and get the vac higher and higher. The only sap weve made so far was really good quality and I hope thats the case this next week and Im thinking it will be. My neighbor buddy is tapping in his gravity stuff right now. He says thats all coming to my house. At least 1500 taps anyway. So hopefully there will be something to boil next week. 6500 holes ought to generate something! Hope everyone is having fun. Were definitely in BIGSAP ALERT here in this area for next week. Keep you guys posted if we make anything here. Theron

Yes it is running down here. Just back in from boiling for 5 hours, I got the milk tank empty!!

We are loosing what little snow we still have and with the temps to be in the high 40's and low 50's for the next several days I might have to take a few more days off work next week to catch back up from this weekend!
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

still have about 40 inchs of snow on ground it is not melting as fast as i would like it to but it will come around
    Boyd
    750 taps on vacuum
    150 taps on gravity
    122 buckets
    250 gph homemade ro
    3x8 raised flue pans on a homemade air over arch
    hoods and preheater
    my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it
    http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/jrthe3/

Default We are tapped!!

Update from Pattersons. We are finally tapped. Started on Feb 22 and are finishing up today. It has been quite the trial this year. Nothing seemed to go right. Had all our tanks here at the sugarhouse full and needed to start boiling which we are right now. Few new things added for this year. 5 more membranes added to the 8 we already had, an 20" filter press (it better do what it is suppose to), and 3 new sugar bushes put in. We were aiming for 90,000 taps but only had time to get to 83,000.thats enough anyway. Hope everyone else had an easier time getting started and a better year than last.good luck to all and keep in touch.
    Richard
    I am a 3rd generation maple producer, with 80,000 taps & 28 sugar bushes.
    2 evaportors, 6x16 & 5x16 Water/Loo Small Turbos
    2 ROs, 1 2400 gph & 1 1800 gph
    2 10" filter press full banks
    Sap Tanks rangeing from 600 to 6000 g
    (Hired Boys says "All numbers subject to change" Ha Ha)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 414151617181920212223242526272829303132333444 ... LastLast