+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Cut Plastic Drum...

Default How to Cut Plastic Drum...

Looking for ideas on how to cut a fill port on my plastic drums. I should clarify that I'm not asking what tool/saw to use to cut the hole, but in what fashion/orientation the port should be cut. I plan to strap the drums onto a trailer behind my tractor and haul them around in the woods. I initially thought I would just stand them on end and cut the tops out, but wondered if anyone had come up with a better way to go about it. Ideally I would like to have a sealable cover to prevent the sap from sloshing out as drive around and to keep rain from getting in as they'll be sitting outside. Any thoughts?
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I would leave them intact and get a big funnel like you get from the big plastic suppliers that screw into drum bungs. make a suction tube that fits in the big port and suck clean. I would rinse out every other day. Soon you will replace with bigger sap hauler and will need the barrels for your bulk syrup

That is what I started with. I laid mine down and cut a very tight hole for a 5 gallon plastic pail. I drill 3/16" holes it the pail bottom. If the hole is good and tight the pail will not fall out. If you put the bung down you can buy a fitting( if its not pipe thread) to adapt to pipe thread and pipe several barrels together using Fernco couplers. I wish you were closer I would give you the ones that I have. I need the storage space.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

The 1" quick couplers in the maple supply catologs will accept a piece of
    1/2" black tubing inside. By doing this you can pump a plastic barrel out.
    One year I hauled sap from 50 taps with two 55 gallon barrells in the back of a Dodge Caravan. My truck at that time was not road worthy even with AG plates on it. By using the 1/2" black pipe I could empty the barrlles out completly that were laid on the side in back of the van.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

We used a similar method but it had it's problems. We used six steel barrels, on a trailer. we strapped them down with the open end up. This did create a huge amount of sloshing going over un-even terrain. We ended up putting a large piece of fabric/filter over all six tanks and using a bungie to hold it down, this limited the loss of sap to sloshing, and kept out some of the nasties. Also we had to bail out the sap with buckets, a pump or a drain would be a great addition. If you are in the market for a poly tank, you might check a local rental outlet, sometimes they replace their stock from time to time and they sell off their older items. That is where we hope to get our tanks this season.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

I put a 5 gal pail on top and trace around it then cut the hole just a little larger , then just set the pail in the hole for transport and you get a good seal ---( no sloping out of the sap) and your gathering pail is there when you need it..

Dick
    dick @ Hobby Hill Maples
    250 taps all on line
    2x4 wood fired
    77 acres lots of maples
    http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/hhm-07/

Exactly the kind of ideas I was looking for! Thanks everybody!
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

i,de go with fred's idea.i,ve done that before and it works well.
    FRED:i might be intrested in taking those barrels off your hands..how many do you have??

delbert

where do you guys get your plastic drums I need a couple?

I found a barrel it came with a tap that screws into the bung. I might use it sideways for transfer of sap or I might just screw a tap of somekind into the bottom but I am trying to figure out how to do that and have it hold tight enough to have the pressure of 50 gallons of water against it. I have another barrel the top comes off of it so I can put a tap in it and put a plastic fitting on the back of the tap to hold it secure . I might also try and turn the barrel sideways and use a 1 1/2 inch plug and a big funnel and make a cradle for it to hold it secure. Lot's of ideas a guy can use.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast