+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flat vs Cone Filters

personally i have the best of both worlds. I use a "pail" filter that I get at my dealer. they are designed to fit in a 5 gallon pail. they have a flat bottom on them but pail shape. To keep them inplace and tight there is a strap with velcrove to wrap around the top of the filter and hold the fold around the pail. I'm surprised no one else uses them on here, or i have never seen mention of them. they don't clog near as easy as cones. Plus they fit really nice in a 5 gallon bottler

Where do you get them? Sounds interesting.
    Martin
    2008 1st yr 5 taps 2 steam table pans
    2009 20 taps 4 steam table pans
    2010 83 taps 28x72 arch W/Thru Tubes
    2011 83 taps Thru tube
    2012 83 taps Thru tube pan
    2015 Added single post homebuilt RO
    http://photobucket.com/maplefarmer
    N 44° 5' 2.0239"

I think that someone told me he bought some from ebay also.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I buy the from my local dealer who buys them from Atkinson maple check out there website and click on "filtration" you will see the link for the orlon bag filter. Personally I think these are great, alot better then cones. The filter quick and dont' get "backed up" when filtering, and also not near as tight to fold over a 5 gallon bottler www.atkinsonmaple.com

I haven’t filtered an ounce of syrup yet, but I will this spring. When I purchased my filters at the CDL store, they recommended the flat filters as they would clog less and filter quicker.

For those with flat filters can you peg them to the sides of a round pot, or do you have to use something like a perforated steam pan?

Thanks

I use a flat filter on my canner unit which has a flat screen for the filter to rest upon. I also have a filter press that does the real work. The filter cloth provides a little extra filtering and allows a last line of defense if I blow out a filter paper in the press.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Well don’t I feel like a fool. When I went to CDL I knew about two kinds of filters, cone and flat. They suggested I get a different one then the cone, which I assumed was a flat filter, but I do remember them saying that you can use it in a bucket. I opened the package today to have a look at it and it is a “filter bag for a 20l pail”, it has an interior strap on it which I have no idea what it is for.

I can see that it will allow syrup through faster than a cone filter and will not clog up as quickly. I have three prefilters for it as well.

I am going to see if someone can fabricate me a stainless steel funnel with a 14” diameter opening. I will build a stand that will support the pail and the funnel, and have a two level shelf at the bottom, one for a five gallon stainless steel stock pot and the other for my bottling kettle.

I may get a second set of the same filters, as I may filter twice in a short period or time, once with the nearup out of the pan and then again when it is finished and I filter it into the bottling kettle.

I will likely use different clips to hold the filter to the pail, then the ones I quickly grabbed for the pictures

87EDBCA5-3E08-4530-86D7-72CD8CADC7F0.jpg
    89054AE6-F31A-4772-9CE6-A9F3FBE12CC8.jpg
    0F855AAC-A573-442F-BDD3-55D3B82C5DFB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I opened the package today to have a look at it and it is a “filter bag for a 20l pail”, it has an interior strap on it which I have no idea what it is for.
    It bothered me not knowing what that strap on the bag was for. Early this morning, I thought about it and said why is it on the inside, it should be on the outside. Then it occurred to me that you fold over the bag, over the lip of the pail, then you can use the strap to tighten the bag, to the pail.

EDF0F99A-6F2B-4924-B003-0B35BE6345D2.jpg

I started making a stand today to hold the bucket with the bucket filter, the large funnel and the bottling pot. I was going to stain it snd make it look professional. Part way through cutting some of the components, I realized I did not have to make a stand, I could just stack them.

I purchased the bucket filter from CDL. The bucket filter, at least on the surface, looks to be a better filter choice than the cone filter, although I never hear anyone talking about them. It has a much larger area for the syrup to pass through snd it is less likely to clog up with sediment. Mind you I am saying that, having not filtered a drop of syrup.

3AE4C993-B348-4FE9-9301-1F72B5C9A929.jpg
    13D093EA-8103-4060-AF57-C176F5403306.jpg
    E928FFC5-3ED9-4138-B909-5DF8C28E3E5C.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123