+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning an Evaporator

Hybrid View

Exclamation Cleaning an Evaporator

What is the best way to clean a burned pan. Someone gave me an evaporator with a 2x3 flat pan with dividers. It looks burned. Also are there any tricks to straighting a warped pan? It is english tin. thanks farmboy.
    Last edited by Farmboy; 08-22-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

Scotch brite pads. You can also get them to fit a dremel or a small drill.
    Also you could try single edge razor blades and scrape. No matter what it is going to be alot of "elbow grease"
    Remember with English tin it will never shine like stainless does and I thinkscrubbing will be better than acid
    Keith

How about a pressure washer would that work. Also can someone post a pic of an English tin pan so I no what it should look like. Thanks farmboy
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Im not a fan of the razor blade method only because your not scraping a flat surface so all that will happen is it will dig in and make a mess. I had English tin pans and after I tried everything I could to clean them and decided that I would leave the old mottled finish alone and make the best syrup I could. You wont make light fancy syrup but you will make some of the best slightly darker than you might like syrup. Live with it and scrub what you can and leave the rest. I dont think you will ever get them to like new condition.

fill them up with all this rain water and leave for a month. get a steel wool pad from a kitchen supply store. and start scrubbing. i have used a puddy knife also to get the black tar off. but acid rain will help
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

Quote Originally Posted by maplecrest View Post
    fill them up with all this rain water and leave for a month. get a steel wool pad from a kitchen supply store. and start scrubbing. i have used a puddy knife also to get the black tar off. but acid rain will help
    Use a scotchbrite pad, or plain old steel wool pad, and staying on the fine side with the steel wool will minimize scratching of the pan. If the tin plate is already gone from the pan any scratching will not matter.

I would not use acid pan cleaner on english tin. I have a 3x4 king drop flue english tin pan and a 3x4 stainless front pan. I was told that the pan cleaner is bad for english tin.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I came to the conclusion that cleaning English tin is like putting a good old cast iron skillet in the dishwasher. I found that cleaning with acid or strong cleaners that removed the old baked on niter brought out the old rusty niter from 5 years ago and caused little leakes. boil water and scrub and enjoy the pans you have.They aint never going to shine like new or SS.

+ Reply to Thread