+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloudy batch again.

Default cloudy batch again.

My wife and I are just weekend sugarbushes. We learned a lot from last year to this year. With that said we stop our finishing by temp alone. This has been a crap shoot at best. Most of the time we end up with good syrup consistency but sometimes it is cloudy and sometimes is is perfectly clear. We do the same routine on each batch so I am a little stumped. The only thing I can think of is the cloudy batches we are actually finishing a little to long. Any suggestions?

Have you let the cloudy batches settle? The cloudiness you see could be the result of nitre in the syrup that just needs the chance to settle out.
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have never boiled sap down to syrup and had it clear. Just because its clear in the pot doesnt mean that all the small sedament wont show up when its cooked down. Im amazed how the syrup looks coming out of the evap and into the finisher like waterd down carmel then one trip thru the press and Im a god

So when we take it off the stove after finishing we should let it sit and cool for a while then filter it one last time and then hot pack into our bottles?

If you reheat syrup very much it will often generate more niter, sometimes so fine it takes days to settle and will even then look like a cloud near the bottom of a bottle. Years ago I looked at some under a microscope thinking it was some horrible fungus. It was tiny crystals.

I suggest you filter right after you finish the boiling, holding the temp below boiling but not below 185°F, then bottle straight from there without raising the temp again.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Yeah, you want to take it to finished syrup then filter it as hot as possible. I pour mine right into the filter while it is still boiling. Once through the filter take it back to about 185 or 190 and bottle it up.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Ok that is what I am doing now. some batches are clear and some are cloudy. I have been trying to pay close attention to every little detail trying to figure out what I am doing different between the cloudy and clear batches. I know it still taste the same either way but we really enjoy getting those few bottles of perfect syrup.

3 or 4 prefilters all stacked together and slightly damp, w/ syrup right off the fire will give you clear syrup. The inside filter will collect most of the nitre and plug up sometimes. I just dump the syrup left in the pluged filter into the next filter in the stack. Leaving most of the nitre still stuck in the filter. and repeat untill it all goes thru. and bottle right away before temp drops below 185. this method seems to work for me. Good luck!
    Mike
    1000 taps on vac
    Delaval 78 vac pump
    rebuilt Vermont arch
    Smoky lake maple custom pans
    4 x 11 reverse flow
    Smoky Lake auto-draw
    Smoky lake 2x4 finisher
    wes fab short bank filter press
    600 gallon Zero tank and 4 cage tanks
    650 gallon surge tank
    Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO
    https://www.facebook.com/WhaleysMapleSyrup?ref=hl

etourtel, been having the same problem this year. Started sugarin in "97" and allways had clear syrup. But this year I've been filtering the same way as in the past and it's coming up a little cloudy. Bottled it anyways and after setting it has cleared up some. Just one of those years can't explain it.
    Happy sugaring
    John

1997-98 Coleman cook stove 20 taps
    99-2003 Two propane burners with 35 taps
    04-06 Leader half pint with 50-65 taps, then quit for 2 years
    2009 Back on Propane 20 taps
    2010-18 2x6 Leader wood fired, Patriot Pans 100-130 taps
    New for 2019 2x4 W.F. Mason Raised Flue 80 taps

Mike Gerend Guest

Default Cloudy Sap

With the warm weather, we had buckets hanging and collected after a series of warm days. Some of the buckets had sap that was starting to cloud in the warm weather. How do you judge whether it is too cloudy or spoiled and when it is still good to cook?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast