+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bender Milk Releaser

Quote Originally Posted by lpakiz View Post
    My Bender releaser had both check valves arranged horizontally under the lower nipple in an up-side-down tee. The main leg of the tee was pointing up and slipped over the glass nipple. The 2 remaining legs were horizontal and held the check valves--the one on the left was inbound and the one on the right was outbound. The port you have labeled as "sap in" is really a wash-out port to swirl and splash the cleaning solution around.
    Lost the digital camera or I could take a photo--sorry
    If you hooked it up this way you could use the upper port for a dry line. I had problems with sap gushing in the top and making spray that would freeze up the releaser. Maybe if you hook it up this way it wouldn't freeze up as much. I wish I would of thought to do that when I was using them.
    Last edited by Grade "A"; 08-12-2009 at 05:38 AM.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

In the english langauage you guys are saying the sap comes in and leaves from the same port I believe. The vacuum is the very top one and he has to disregard the port he has labeled in as its for washing. Is this correct.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Yes, that is what lpakiz is saying. The port for washing can be pluged or hooked to a dry-line with a check valve on it for better vacuum transfer.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

So what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't use the metal port on the side of the top?

My plans were to make a small manifold off to the side where the main line would come in and act as a holding area while the Bender was dumping, but i was going use that metal port as an inlet.

I will see if I can draw something up and post it here that sort of shows what I am trying to do.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Ok Here is a pic of how I was going to hook up the Bender Milk receiver as a sap Releaser.

To me it looks just like a releaser that you would buy but the actual releaser part is the Bender milk receiver.
    Please Let me know if my thinking is incorrect.
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Dennis- Doesnt the vac line on the top of the bender releaser get blocked off when the float goes up to the top and that lets it dump or isnt that how it works? Im kind of confused too. If you put your vac sucking on top of a homeade primary stage it wont dump will it? Theron

For what I can tell the rod that the float is on will rise up and dump the vac out of the Bender which will allow the liquid to dump out of the bottom of the bowl.
    Also it doesn't look like it blocks off the vac it just dumps the vac and it is running open to the outside until the float drops back to the bottom which then returns the vac back to the bowl.

The fitting on the side of the top goes only into the area where the liquid would go, so I can't see the difference between that or what someone else here has mentioned comeing in from the bottom.

I will have to try and get a few other pics of the Bender disassembled.
    Last edited by Dennis H.; 08-12-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

lpakiz Guest

When the float rod goes all the way up to dump, it gets sucked up to the underside (nose) of the plastic vacuum elbow thingy and held there by vac until the weight of the (falling) float, (plus rod plus extra weight as necessary) pulls the rod and float down and off of the vacuum nipple. When it does fall, it lets vacuum into the chamber, thus starting the cycle again. It does not let vacuum out into atmosphere while in "hold", but rather just shuts it off and holds it until the float assembly drops.
    Geez, not sure if I even understand it now.....
    In the diagram you showed, move the upper left assembly straight down and hook it to the lower assembly, making two check valves in series, separated by the glass nipple at the bottom of the releaser. One check valve will be on each side of the nipple. Both of my check valves are orientated horizontally.

Dennis,

I think your set up will work with one small modification.

Vacuum in only to the bender releaser as you show.
    No vacuum direct to your manifold. The vacuum in the lines will close the check valve between the manifold and the Bender Releaser to maintain vacuum in the system while the releaser is dumping. The check valve will reopen when the releaser regains its vacuum.
    Just be sure that the check valves that you use work easily enough to work with the vacuum.

Thanks for the info guys, This is a work in progress so I will take any help that you'all can give.
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast