+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bender Milk Releaser

Default Bender Milk Releaser

I have a question about a Bender Milk Releaser/Receiver.

What is supposed to be on the bottom glass port?
    The metal rod sticks down into it but there is nothing else there. What is to keep the sap in the jar until it's full?
    Am I supposed to put a check valve there myself or is something missing that I should have gotten with it?

I will post pics later today of the receiver, just don't have the time right now.

Thanks for any info
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Dennis,The jar you have mounts on a ss pipe which goes to a transfer pump.That's why the metal rod is there.When the milk touches the rod it turns the pump on and sucks it out the bottom.

This isn't an electric receiver, it is all mechanical.

I'll take a few pics after I clean it up.
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Dennis, I used 1" silicone milk tube and hooked it to a 1" check valve. The vacuum will hold the check valve closed until it dumps. You will need a check valve for the sap line coming into the releaser as well.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

lpakiz Guest

That's right--two check valves. One to prevent the sap from going backwards when it dumps, (inlet) and one to hold vacuum as it fills (outlet).
    I have mine both mounted horizontal-one on each side of the glass spout under the jar.

Thanks guys for the help, I will pick up a few check valves and some hose and give it a try.

I got it all cleaned up and ready to go back together but I have to reseal the float. When I was cleaning it all up I found that the float halves were not sealed the whole way around. So I cleaned the inside out as best as I could and right now I have some paper towels pushed thru the seam to dry the inside out. Once it is dried I will use silicone and reseal the float.
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

I got a pic finally of the receiver.

If I understand how this thing works I have it labeled the way it will be hooked up.

I will also need to put a check valve on the glass port at the bottom labeled Sap out.
    I will also need a check valve for the Sap In port, right?
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

the in port and out both need check valves. the most taps will be 300 max.i see you have a plastic float which is good. mine was stainless and froze quickly. on the very top is a gasket i had problems with air leaking in and freezing up. but a great starter releaser till you can afford a benard single
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

lpakiz Guest

My Bender releaser had both check valves arranged horizontally under the lower nipple in an up-side-down tee. The main leg of the tee was pointing up and slipped over the glass nipple. The 2 remaining legs were horizontal and held the check valves--the one on the left was inbound and the one on the right was outbound. The port you have labeled as "sap in" is really a wash-out port to swirl and splash the cleaning solution around.
    Lost the digital camera or I could take a photo--sorry

I use 3 of them. One comes in at the bottom, the other 2 I have running in at the top. You are right, the top inlet was for washing only in a dairy application. I prefer the top and assume I get a wee bit more vacuum transfer. (less restriction).

As far as the air leaking, new seals should do the trick. If the glass is chipped a little, then it probably won't help much. In that case, I smear the top, inside and out liberally with vaseline. put the top back on and then smear the outside of the seal/jar with more. Hasn't failed yet.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast