+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar House Smoke Stack

I ran my 6" single walled pipe through an old 3 foot long piece of 8" Metalbestos that I installed some spacers (bolts) inside so the 6" pipe would stay centered. The 8" is 2" from any wood, and is flashed on top using some aluminum sheet. When I am not using my arch I remove a section of pipe inside the shack and drop down the top sections and my "oversized" rain hood closes off the 8" metalbestos pipe top to the weather. Second picture shows it in the closed position. Jay

19 Sugar Shack Chimney (3).jpg 23 Cupola Finished (1).jpg
    Zucker Lager

Thank you for the details. Looks like a very nice set up.

My shack is a shack in every sense of the term. I just didn’t think about the pipe when building and now I’m left to improvise.

With how my rafters are spaced in relation to my very small shack, I think I should be good running double wall pipe through the metal roof while the pipe is 3-4” from the rafters. I thought for extra measure about wrapping the near rafters, where the pipe will pass, in extra fire blanket I have from when I insulated my arch and put metal flashing around that. However, that leaves my arch only 12” away from either wall. While the arch is insulated with blanket and brick, I’m not sure this is enough clearance from the arch.

Think this should be safe?

My problem is I built my shack too small. I just didn’t think of clearance of the pipe/arch or keeping the arch far enough away from any walls. My shack is basically 8x8. Made from pallets.

I’m left getting creative without burning this thing to the ground. I just want to be safe.
    2017: 7 taps, turkey fryer
    2018: 10 taps, turkey fryer
    2019: 15 taps, turkey fryer
    2020: 20 taps, Mason 2x3

The taste at the end makes it all worth while

Quote Originally Posted by aviboy97 View Post
    Hi everyone,

In almost done building a sugar shack out of pallets for my 2x3 evaporator. My shack is basically 8x8 and I’m struggling with how to do the smoke stack. Should I cut a hole out of the back of the shack and go that route, or go out the roof?

How much separation between the stack and wood do I need? Is there any type of fire insulation I can put around the opening to prevent a fire?

I can’t seem to find much online. I really don’t want to burn this thing to the ground.
    I'm building a 10x12 shack. Walls and roof are framed, and I'm working on the roof sheeting, cupola, and chimney so I was struggling like you are.

I've decided to go with chimney through the roof. I decided against out the wall, since I would need more double/triple wall pipe along the side of the building than if it went out the roof. The pipe inside the building can just be single wall as long as it's far enough away from anything (18" I believe). The evaporator will be in the middle of the shack so that shouldn't be a problem. You can also get a ceiling support for the chimney that I think should be easy to frame between the trusses and start the double/triple wall pipe from there. 6' of double/triple wall should be good.

I found that the brand "duratech" was the cheapest and also available at local hardware stores. This is what I got (hope links work). the ceiling mount also includes a rain cap which is good.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...1812p.html#srp
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...1817p.html#srp

Documentation for duravent:
    https://duravent.com/wp-content/uplo...structions.pdf

20201121_121808.jpg
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Class A double wall pipe specs at a 1 or 2" clearance to combustibles.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

2019 LNG fired pot, 20 taps on 3/16, 10 buckets, gave it up after 3 gal.
    2020 New Mason 2x4 XL; 30 taps on 3/16

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
    I ran my 6" single walled pipe through an old 3 foot long piece of 8" Metalbestos that I installed some spacers (bolts) inside so the 6" pipe would stay centered. The 8" is 2" from any wood, and is flashed on top using some aluminum sheet. When I am not using my arch I remove a section of pipe inside the shack and drop down the top sections and my "oversized" rain hood closes off the 8" metalbestos pipe top to the weather. Second picture shows it in the closed position. Jay

Attachment 21654 Attachment 21655
    "
    Great pics and explanation here. I am just about to punch through the roof. For your roof jack and flashing, did that need to be the larger 8" size, or did you keep to the 6" pipe size?
    2024 - Starting with the 25 then more late Feb.
    2023 - 25 taps on 11 trees to focus on the process. 9 Gallons and lots of sugar sand. 35 people over for breakfast in April
    2022 - 8 x 14 sugarhouse and a steam bottler. 50 buckets! 9 Gallons syrup and 4 pounds of sugar
    2021 - 20 x 30 divided pan on a Mason arch, 34 taps and 8 gallons for family and friends to judge. Dad hooked as well.
    2020 - 2 taps, 1/2 pint on a turkey fryer, About 3/4 pint syrup in two weeks - Proof of concept!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12