+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar House Smoke Stack

Default Sugar House Smoke Stack

I've been having a shack built 18x 24' for my 2x6 evaporator. I had a question Fire code says that i need atleast double walled pipe where it passes by any wood within x amount of feet. and 3' past the highest point of the building. I want to get triple walled pipe but really am not sure where to get it. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

MPM,

I ordered a bunch of metalbestos chimney pipe on the internet. A place in california I believe called "venting systems'. They had the best prices and free shipping back then. Hold onto your shorts, stainless triple wall will set up back a pretty penny.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I made my own triple wall. My stack is 12" heavy gauge galv from Leader. I then made 16" from 28 gauge sheet metal spaced out with little metal spacers i made and then 20" the same. Going up from the evap it is single wall until about 2 feet lelow the lower cord of the trusses (ie, ceiling height, if it had a ceiling), from there the 2 added layers are suspended from the trusses on chain and steel support rods, and this tripple wall goes tight to the steel roofing but onlu the single wall extends thru the roof. In my location we are required to get a permit and be inspected by the fire dept before we can burn wood, the fire dept really liked my design and the wood is protected. Think of it this way, for a single stack you must have 36" clearance to combustables, 1 layer of tin spaced at least 1 inch away cuts the distance to 18" needed, a nother layer cuts the distance to 9" and if you need more a nother layer cuts it to 4.5". I made my 16 by assembling 2 8" to make the pipe and the 20" was 2 @ 10" joined. If i redo it I will go with flat stock and screw it (or pop rivet) together all in 1 piece because it will be easier to keep it round. Mine is far from a neat round circle but it works good and look OK. For my spacers i made v shapes with feet on the v. I pop riveted the feet to the stack before assembling and had several around the circumfrance to hold the position. Doing it this way cost very little and the wood is protected from the heat. The first season i had this I put a thermometer on the hot side of the closest truss and the temp was under 120 degrees with the evap at full fire for a few hours. I do have mine at 2" spacing but 1" would still work to specs.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default Why triple wall?

Just curious as to why you want triple wall? My dad is a retired fire inspector of 25 years and would never recommend triple wall pipe. I had purchased a house last year and the first thing to go in was the wood furnace. I went to get the chimney pipe (triple wall) and he said no, bad idea. The reason is this, triple wall pipe will actually create more creosote due to the insulating and condensation. Come to find out, the places that sell chimney pipe around here don't even stock triple wall, only double wall. Everyone here thinks it is a waste of money and chimney fire risk. There are more firemen on this site also that could chime in also. Might save your shack and a couple of bucks also.

my thoughts on stacks and stovepipe in the sugarhouse is that while it should be safe and keep heat off the nearby wood, there isnt the need for such special stuff to help reduce the danger is a chimney fire occurs, this is due to a couple things, for one the stack rarely gets cool enough for creosote to form in and evaporator, and second its not like living quarters where you could be asleep and not know there was a problem till too late, whenever a fire is going your basicly right there and awake, well atleast ya should be!
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

I just took a 36" x 36" piece of sheet metal (with a 15" hole cut in the center) and nailed it over the 32" x 32" hole cut in the roof. Guess that leaves about 8" of clearance to the wood.

Probably violates every code in the book, but it ain't burned down in 20 years.

And as MarkCT says, creosote does not seem to be a problem. (Well at least I haven't ever cleaned the stack in 20 years.)
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Default class a chimney

I am a firefighter, but not really sure of fire codes. They very from county to county, as well as state to state. I burn firewood in my home, and I use a double wall stainless chimney. This is a double wall chimney with insulation between the walls. It is quite pricey, but you can put your hand on it without burning it. I've never been on a fire call for a chimney fire with this kind of application. Where the chimney exits the wall on my house there is only 3" of clearance between the chimney and OSB. Been burning this way for 10 years no problem, and the chimney is a good as when I put it up.

Hi everyone,

In almost done building a sugar shack out of pallets for my 2x3 evaporator. My shack is basically 8x8 and I’m struggling with how to do the smoke stack. Should I cut a hole out of the back of the shack and go that route, or go out the roof?

How much separation between the stack and wood do I need? Is there any type of fire insulation I can put around the opening to prevent a fire?

I can’t seem to find much online. I really don’t want to burn this thing to the ground.
    2017: 7 taps, turkey fryer
    2018: 10 taps, turkey fryer
    2019: 15 taps, turkey fryer
    2020: 20 taps, Mason 2x3

The taste at the end makes it all worth while

Through the roof will give you the best draft.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

if you look around you can find some good deals on class A chimney pipe of facebook marketplace, i bought 15 feet of metalbestos with a cap for less then i would have paid for one piece new

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast