+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filtering Sap

Default Filtering Sap

What do youy guys think of using a cartridge type pool filter as a feed tank pump and filter? They can be pretty cheap on ebay. My only concern woud be the head they could handle. I would think they could handle 8 or 10 feet and the replacement filters are pretty reasonable. If they can filter a few thousand gallon pool they should be able to handle a couple thousand gallons of sap. What say you?

I use a Hayward C500 model cartridge filter to filter my sap before it goes into the storage tank and a C250 before sap goes into the RO. In both instances the filter is before the pump, so I'm pulling the sap through the filter, not pumping it through.
    Last edited by Homestead Maple; 04-26-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I ran a cartridge filter before my RO system and had a couple of 275 gallon totes to feed. I recycled sap through the RO and found they were getting fouled and causing a pressure drop of a few pounds in less than 48 hours. If they were filtering inert stuff, I feel they would have been fine. But the sap microbes multilply. And the flow only enhances their food supply. A new filter every other day adds up in a month or 6 weeks.

I am thinking to use a bag filter next year that can be washed and re-used, but I'm not sure I'll find a bag filter that will go down to 1 micron that is re-useable. If you don't care about catching the microbes ( that are about 1 micron ) Then a coarser cloth bag is very economical.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Those pool filter/pumps will just agravate you they have no head pressure and they are a feeble pump. Brents right about the cost of filters and how often you chould change them. My spun cotton house filter set up works great until about the 3rd day when all the microbes turn it black and it clogs. I will hear the pump running and find out that nothing is going onto the tank...not good.

Thanks for the replies. I will go with something more conventional.

Check out the Lapierre sap presure filter with the washable filter. I installed mine last year and love it. I run it with the 5 micron pre filter and a 1 micron filter. I've run over 1500 gallons of sap through it and not plug it. To clean it I just rince and soak in pre heater water then hang to dry. I'm sure that the filter was the reason that I was still making Light Syrup when my neighbors were making Medium.
    4 x 12 wood fired, 1300 taps & growing, flat land buckets

What is the advantage of pulling the sap through the filter vs. pumping through?
    Still learning after all these years.

The reason I do, is to keep the junk (bits of wood, twigs, moths, and other stuff that seems to get blown by the wind into my woods, sap collection tank, etc.) out of my pumps impellor. I use an electric 1-1/2hp Goulds pump to transfer the sap from my hauler to the storage tank and the cartridge filter is in-line before the pump.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Homestead Get the cheap prefilters and tape it over the end of the discharge hose into the bulk tank and you will be amazed at the crud you will have after a days hauling.

milk filters work great for getting the big stuff out (bugs, bark, etc.) they are cheap to buy and u get alot in a box. I hose clamp them to my pump line into the gathering tank. At the end of the day toss it out. They can handle high flow from my pump. When I pump into my holding tanks I use a 5 micron high flow bag filter from MSC. Last I checked they make the high flow bag filters down to 1 micron. I bought 5 and switch out every day. This lets me wash the dirty ones with plenty to spare. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast