+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Sugar / Peanut Brittle

Default Maple Sugar / Peanut Brittle

Today I tried making peanut brittle from a quart of syrup. I used a white sugar recipe that said heat to 300 degrees while stiring. I used only syrup with no water or corn syrup. Well at 260 the whole thing foamed up and then went completely dry. The entire pan turned into pure maple sugar that is lighter than brown sugar. I tried again this afternoon with out stirring but adding 3/4 cup corn syrup and table spoon of butter. At 265 degrees the pan did the foam thing again. This time poured into larger pan with peanuts and baking soda. Strired and dumped onto cookie sheet. It brakes but is not real hard.
    Does any one know if the temp for hard crack made with no white sugar is lower than with? It seams to be somwhere between Hard and Soft crack.
    How far can you heat maple with out it going dry and turning to sugar?

White sugar is a different kind of sugar then Maple sugar and has hight temp requirments. You would most likely need to use the temps for making maple suckers which was on here the other day. 260 is the temp you need to make dry maple sugar.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

+ Reply to Thread