+ Reply to Thread

Thread: land taxing

Default land taxing

How are most farm wood lots taxed when they are tapped for syrup? I had heard most are taxed non-agriculture but it seems the land owner could benefit from a tax basis if the trees were tapped if the land could be assessed as ag forest land.

thanks

The taxes are 50% lower or more if you are tapping it in Wisconsin.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Default woodlot taxing

Do you know then if Wisconsin wood lots that are a part of a farm but are not pastured or tapped what tax catagory they fall in? I've heard the potential for reduced taxes from a tapping operation can sometimes be another incentive for land owners to lease thier woods.
    I'm just getting started in this business so there's a lot I don't know.

Thanks
    Last edited by Woody; 04-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.

I am not sure. It was once taxed as recreational property whether it augmented an active farm or not. That has changed in the past few years. Our woods was enrolled in the MFL in 2001. At that time the tax on farm woodland was the same as if a sportsmen owned it.

I know you must be actively farming to gain the reduced tax on woodland that joins your cropland. You'd have to talk to your local assesor.

I know that active tapped maple stands generally are taxed similar to crop and pasture ground. I am unsure if a non-farmer that starts tapping would be eligibal. I believe if a tax return was filed on behalf of a farming operation, then you'd qualify as a farmer and be able earn the lower rates. Leasing or renting the trees to another sugarmaker would qualify the land most definately.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread