+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: preheater

Parker,

With all the sap you were hauling last year and adding more taps this year, you will have plenty of sap for the 5x16 even if you only boil for 3 hours at a time. Better to boil 3 hours on the 5x16 vs. 10 hours on the 3x10 for the same amount of sap!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Well folks,,that is what I am wondering,,will I have enough to boil for 3 hours or will I have 300 gallons sitting for 4 day waiting for another run to fire the rig???
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Well Parker I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that one. We proberly were all in that situation when we purchased our evaporators. I know for me it as a hobby guy that a 2x6 was to big for the amount of taps I would have. I would have to hold sap for to many days inbetween my boil. Now hopefully I have the right balance of taps,sap and correct size evaporator. I hope. I hope this helps some.
    By the way how many gallons do you have to have to fire up that monster?
    Take care.
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    Pumpkin Village Settlement
    and a big smile!
    A wife and 2 boys who make it all fun.

Fall Creek, WI Woods: Lincoln/Price Counties, WI

Parker, I consulted with one of my borthers and we agreed that teh old 5x16 took approximately 150 gallons. However, we ran it deeper than most people to avoid any possibility of scorching. We also had a smaller system, but never had runs small enough to worry about only firing up only one or the other. Good luck; hope this helps.
    Russell Berg
    Mount View Sugar Bush - Since 1989
    2004 5.5' x 18' Custom-built Stainless Evaporator w/ 7' Piggyback + Preheater
    4,000 - 5,000 taps vacuum/gravity/bags
    24' x 32' Sugar Shack

Thanks for all the encouragment...I think I just need to get my butt in gear and hang some more tubing, and find 2 more vac. systems,,then I should be fine,,The bulk tank I got still works,, Mabey Ill hook up the compressors so I can hold sap for a day if I have to,,and by all means, If anyone is interested stop in, there is plenty to do between the sugar house and the woods,, or just check the place out ,,I still have to paint and thin the 31 acres and do a complete install,,,make some improvements on the existing systems ect..HEY BRANDON rent a car and come on up and check it out,,This sat were going to pick up the evap. in VT,,Should be unloading it sat. afternoon....many hands make light work
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Parker,

Sure sounds like fun and would like to help but I don't think I can get to Verona and Vt in the same day. I am going to be traveling over 2,000 miles in two days so I may have to pass on this one. 8O

Even if you only have 300 to 400 gallons, I don't think it would be a problem firing up the evaporator for a couple of hours. Better than dumping the sap and cooking a lot longer on the 3x10.

You could always invest in a uv unit. :idea:
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Hey guys on Wed. I talked with the folks at Leader on the preheater. After the sticker shock on that with only a 15% gain they suggested a Steamaway for more than we paid for the evaporator. Anyone had any luck with homemade preheaters and hoods?
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Default inexpensive preheater?

Brandon,

Good to meet you and some of the other Traders at the NY conference! You mentioned that you made a cheap preheater. Can you describe it here, and maybe email me some pics? Thanks!

Greg
    gkeyes@ocdus.jnj.com
    Trout Brook Sugarhouse
    & Alpacas
    Patrick Phaneuf 2x8; CDL RO
    12'x16' Sugarhouse
    ~1000 Taps on tubing and vacuum

9 Alpacas

http://www.troutbrooksugarhouse.com/

There are a couple or ways to make a really cheap pre heater. I have tried 2 methods. One is to get flexible copper tubing and twist it around your stack about 10 times. The only problem with this is each time you start the sap flow if the tubing is too hot you can scorch the sap so the first cup full will be black. Catch it and throw it out.

The other methd that I am using now I took from the half pint evap. made by leader. I got some stainless together and made a five gallon pan to piggy back on my 2x6. Between the heat from the stack and the steam the sap gets to be like bath water (not 180 deg. but not bad). I have a copper tube with a valve that zig zags over the sap pan and into the float box. I am able to keep a stead flow of warm sap going which does not kill hte boil and it only cost me about $30 and a couple of hours of welding.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

I have pics of the preheater on my website and I will take a whole bunch of pics tommorrow of the preheater completely installed inside the hood. In my opinion, I have an extremely nice preheater and a good system and I only have around $ 100 in it and that is with the extreme high price of copper. If anyone wants me to email them the pics, just send me a private message and I will email them a bunch of pics tommorrow. I will also be posting the pics on my website tommorrow night or Sunday!

After looking at the pics, you can give me a call anytime and I will try to explain more over the phone!
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast