+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heat Warpage

SUGARSMITH Guest

Default Heat Warpage

Last year I got one of my pans too hot and the floor suffered som heat warpage. It buckled up to where if you push down on it, it sort of oil cans. Is there a way to correct this ?

Nick Stanley Guest

I would talk to an experienced, old-time car body repairman. There is a technique for body panels that would be exactly what you need. The trick involves cooling one side of a specific area around the warpage while at the same time ehating the other side with a rosebud tip on a torch. I've seen it done, but it requires a lot of experience tod do properly. Good Luck.
    -Nick

DAVE Guest

Default warpage

Shrinking ferous steel is done by heating a dime size area dinging it with a hammer and quickly quenching it. I havent found anyone who has done it successfullywith stainless, maybe because of the nickel content ??it gets work hardened ( brittle) then cracks.

The only other thing I would know to do and I don't know if this can be done, but it is possible is to take it apart at the seams and try to get it to conform correctly and then weld or solder it back together. I don't know if it would work and if it would be worth the trouble, but it might. I would think you would be opening up a possibilities of leaks then, but I don't know for sure. :?
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I've talked to a stainless food dealer manufactor about my warped pan. His reply was if you can still make syrup off it than don't fix it.
    The problem is the thin gauge steel. Your syrup pan section is made out of one piece of steel bent to form the sections. And cutting out a section and welding in a new one will most likely cause more warpage.
    He told me when they weld stainlees ( thin) that you have to do a controlled weld to guide were the warp will go with the high heat of the evaporator. He said most places including them will not touch -repair- such thin steel.
    He says such thin steel under those contions are going to warp to some degree.

sapper Guest

When you overheat metal it expands and then when it cools it shrinks smaller than it was before heated. Parts of you pan bottom were overheated are shrunk and other parts and sides were not, thats why it is wrinkled. you need to stretch the overheated areas. I would't use heat unless you want to make it worse. you need to use a planishing hammer to stretch the metal back out and maybe a hardwood wedge in the corners with the pan against something hard. The art is knowing where to stretch it. Take a look at the web site www.tinmantech.com

SUGARSMITH Guest

you are saying that although it expanded with the heat, that when it cooled it is actually smaller than its original size ?

for examle, if I had a ss penny, heated it up and let if cool I would have a ss dime ? So I actually need to stretch the metal

Dan

SUGARSMITH Guest

you are saying that although it expanded with the heat, that when it cooled it is actually smaller than its original size ?

for examle, if I had a ss penny, heated it up and let if cool I would have a ss dime ? So I actually need to stretch the metal

Dan

+ Reply to Thread