+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar in bottom of jars

Pegjam,

I always did use several prefilters inside my cone filter, but I was always very careful. What you run into is that you get a clogged prefilter with a gallon of extremely hot syrup inside and you have to pick it up and dump it into the next prefitler. I usually used something like several spring loaded clothes pins on the top to hold the prefilters together. What I usually tried to do was to loosen all the sides of the clogged prefilter and then pick up one side and kinda let the other side fall down inside as the liquid rose up on and it would spill over into the next prefilter.

This is dangerous and you have to be careful, but it works very good and I have never gotten burned other than just a minor burn or two. I used this method for several years and it worked good for my cone filtering tank. One thing to remember is that the clogged prefilter is extremely hot and the sugarsand inside of it also. I usually tried to grab the bottom of the prefitler with a clothes pin to hold it. I also would hang the clogged one up over another container and let it drip for a while to get out as much syrup as possible.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Make sure you boil your new pre and synthetic or felt filters before you use them. They are treated at the factory with some kind of wax or something so they don't get damp and mold.
    Scott W.
    2.5x8 Grimm raised flue
    Leader inferno arch 90 gph
    Vacuum, RO, Syrofilter
    1500 taps
    UV filter
    Can am 400 HO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12