+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bad year

Is anyone in Ohio having a good year? I'm sorry to heat about all this bad luck. Ten gallons from 600 taps on vac? Ouch.
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

I have no idea if this is a bad year or not. I don't think its warm enough just yet for the trees to run proper. went up to 45 today but took the trees untill 2 or so to thaw out. Guess one just takes what hes given.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

maplekid; 2 years ago we made 8 gallons on 80 taps with no vac. last year was 25 from the same 80. What a difference a year makes. This year 20 and counting on 160 taps. There's always next year and who knows what that will bring.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

The season has not even started yet. I know this because I am not sloshing thru knee deep mud. An old say is, "that its not sugaring season until you are in the mud" and I ain't in it yet. We still got frost in the ground here and it is tinder bone dry.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

i was hoping to do lot-o-tubing next year but with the pi$$ poor crop we had looks like thats not happening. all i will prolly get is an evaporator if i even get that. going to boil tomarow morning and monday after school hope i make some syrup. my new taps yeilded alot sweeter sap than the others but im going to stick with the good woods i tapped last year. made 8-9 gallons on 40 taps last year. will make syrup next year thats for dang sure
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

Fred
    The mud here has come and gone. I think if we had some rain maybe we could get some more sap as it is right now there isn't enough moisture in the ground for the trees to give us any sap. A week ago my son was worring about how to get into and out of the woods for all the mud, and we had a 100 gallons an hour flowing into the tank on tubing. This week it doesn't even seem as if we are getting a gallon an hour with last night getting down to the mid 20's and day time temps near 50, And I can walk into the woods without even getting my boots wet. I hope that tomorrow I wake up to a real surprise in my tank but I am not counting on it.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

partsrus1974 Guest

Its been a BAD year here to..Im near albany NY..Its either been to cold or to hot.Mother nature is a pain in the A$$.I only have 50gallons made so far The longterm forcast here looks like only a few sap days then Another warm up,the season is over

with the guys ive talked to, if you tapped around the 1st of march you did better than if you tapped early.but still on vacuum most guys did about a quart per with vacuum and a lot less without
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

i finished off what was in the feed tank which was about 55 gallons and pulled of 3 gallons of near syrup, finished some from the other day. i think i will boil one more time and call it quits. didnt get much of a run the past 2 days. probly have almost 2-3 gallon of syrup in the pan once im done. i will draw off the whole thing and finish it all
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

you might want to hold out a couple of days .those new taps should do something today and tomorrow
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast