+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow start?

My boxelders are the only thing really running since tuesday. I tapped another one today and it poured sap before I could get the tap in. Something chewed on the trunk of the one boxelder and its pouring sap down the trunk of the tree. I don't expect much untill wednesday at the earlierest
    Last edited by KenWP; 03-22-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Default herculean silver sugar content

Quote Originally Posted by RileySugarbush View Post
    ...Plus 10 gallons of 3.8% off of some silver maples in a yard across the lake!
    ...Oh good - it's not just me. I don't know exact sugar content, but the sap from my Silvers (which is the only kind I've got!) has been exceptionally potent so far as well. I thought I was imagining things!

And speaking of imagining things, I wish I were imagining this, but my trees are looking primed to bud out already... Anyone else noticing this? I'm just hoping they can hold off 'til tuesday night when the weather gets cool again. If not, then this will have been the shortest season I've ever seen. My taps were just as slow to start as everyone else's on this thread...

Jim Powell Guest

Good to hear you are really starting to run on Riley lake, John. I did not collect any sap last week because of such low flow. I dumped it all out Saturday, and collected less than 10 gallons from my 68 taps yesterday. I just got it all up to boiling on a fish fryer and stored it overnight. Once this big wave of rain passes this morning, I'll walk up into the woods to see whats happened.

JCP

Davydd Guest

I was down in La Crosse, WI Sunday and the maples in my son's back yard were budding.

I evaporated my sap haul yesterday from my sugar maples. I had about 13 gallons stored plus what was in the sacks on the trees. I managed to harvest eight 8 oz. jars of syrup. The syrup might be a tad thin but I tested it by sight, how it flowed on a spoon and taste comparing it to some microwaved commercial syrup to determine when to stop. The thermometer reading wasn't correct calibration wise but it did climb about 7 degrees. Having never done this before I was flying by the seat of my pants.

I pulled my spiles out yesterday and noticed the largest tree that was a frustratingly poor producer was now stained with sap this morning. This coming week looks good weather wise but I have to move on to other stuff to do to prepare for our RV getaway in April. It was fun.

This was my haul.

Congratulations on your first season!

It looks like you did well and even if it is a little light, I'm sure you will enjoy each drop. It will be interesting to see what you do next year.....
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Davydd Guest

Here is another picture comparing my syrup to Archer Farms maple syrup. Color is almost identical. I don't know if that means anything but my syrup tastes better than the Archer Farms stuff in my opinion of course.

Better too thin than to boil it to much unless you're trying to make candy out of it. I had a batch last year that I must have gone too far with because I had 4 pints half or more full of crystals. The crystals tasted good if we could chip em out without breaking the jars but they weren't much use on pancakes!
    After the crystal incident we picked up a syrup hydrometer this year instead of messing with the thermometer. Watching it drip off the spoon is almost as good as the hydrometer I'm finding. When it starts gelling up right away instead of dripping like water then its getting mighty close.

Low of 33 predicted tonight, maybe we'll slip another degree lower and the sap will turn back on! With all this rain once it gets cold at night again I'm hoping it runs like crazy.
    20+ taps (mostly silvers) - welded shut kitchen sink + 2x3 divided pan on a dry stacked block arch.

Jim Powell Guest

Well my trees finally woke up. I collected a little on Saturday and Sunday about 15 gal each day. Many trees weren't flowing any thought. But Monday, they all were, and I collected 70 gallons, today it was around 120. Several of the big maples gave up 10 - 12 gallons each today. I boiled down all but about 25 gallons which I'll start going before I head up into the woods tomorrow. Gathering this morning at 33°, in rain and mud was lots of fun, but I didn't get stuck in it!

The run on Monday measured 4%, and the run today was 3.5%. I think my filtered yield will be around 9 gallons.

Thanks to whoever came up with Advil!

JCP

Default slow no more!

We made 9 gallons in a bit over 7 hours tonight! Still have 180 gallons of sap in tanks. Thursday we start again!

All very light so far.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Default slowing down

It seems the sap is slowing down from the maples in my yard. The buds are almost all popped open and flowering but the sap and syrup are still great. As long as their is sap we'll keep boiling it down. I tapped about a month ago so I'm not sure if its the budding slowing it down or if we need to ream the holes again. Either way sitting at 4 gallons of syrup out of 3 silvers and a box elder I am very pleased with this year. I'm glad I decided to double-tap my big trees this year as we were getting 5+ gallons a tree some days.

Next year I need to craft a way to keep my pans above the fire rather than down in it. The scorching on the sides can lead to some dark syrup if left to cool in the pans and then boiled more the next day.

I'm glad to hear that things are flowing down in Minnetrista for you Jim!
    20+ taps (mostly silvers) - welded shut kitchen sink + 2x3 divided pan on a dry stacked block arch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12