+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will finish tapping on Saturday, March 14

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Will finish tapping on Saturday, March 14

I tapped about 125 trees today, and plan to do about the same tomorrow, leaving just a few to tap as "demo trees." A few were dripping, most weren't.

I'd tapped about 6 several days ago as "test trees." I dumped what they had in the buckets today. The most had about 2 gallons; the least, none.

Looks like we should have some excellent runs next week! Might even start running decent tomorrow afternoon.

We tapped our 115 today. Not really running yet but I sure expect tomorrow and the next few days to be great!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I put in acouple of test taps yesterday after work, one ran pretty good the others nothing. Next week weather sounds really good, so i plan on tapping all the rest this weekend, around 300 taps.

Davydd Guest

You guys are bigtime tappers. I may go check my three taps in the north half acre and then tap one more if it looks promising. :-D

i got over 200 taps in between yesterday and today. The sap is flowing big time here. I figure i'll have over 100 gallons tomorrow, a lot of the buckets i put up yesterday were half full today. About half the taps were really running good the other half were not running or just barely dripping. The woods maples are running than the maples in the open.

Davydd Guest

I tapped two more trees, one yesterday and one today for a total of five. The newly tapped tree today is the farthest away in this view with the very visible blue sacks. I'm not sure how I missed it on my first walk through. Last fall I tied a thin red string at eye height around all the eligible sugar maples.

One tapped tree shows no sign of tap life (not in view here). Not a single drop. Could it be because of mounds of plowed snow surrounding it and paved driveway within two feet of it?

I don't think the snow has anything to do with it. We still have over a foot of snow in the woods up here, and those trees are running like crazy. The trees in the open with no snow around them are hardly evev dripping.

We have some running well and others without a drop. Just the way it goes early in the season.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Jim Powell Guest

Default Finished tapping on the 16th

I finished tapping yesterday. Put out the remaining (40) sap sacs. Total of 50 sap sacs and 19 drop lines. VERY little flow overnight, although some were dripping pretty good when first drilled. I've decided to let it stay in the sacs till tomorrow and collect when hopefully it will be around freezing. Two years ago when I was using sacs we had a huge warm up for a week, good flow, but lots of mold and moths in the sacs. I doubt if this warm weather will bring up the bugs yet. It was strange to tap in short sleeves!

JCP

+ Reply to Thread