+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar camp for sale

Default Sugar camp for sale

There is a maple sugar operation for sale around Lanark, Dorian Heights.
    74 acres ,$250,000. how much syrup would that be?
    120 buckets, and 18x48 Dom.Grimm pan, 14X24 preheater pan ;10gph

Cheesegenie,
    US or Can $? It would be 100,000 lbs sold to Maple Grove right now if US $'s. About 9000 gallons. A lot of syrup! At 40 taps/acre, there would be about 3000 taps. With a decent vacuum system you might average 1/3 gallon/tap per year (I know, some of you will get 1/2 gallon or more) so 1000 gallons of syrup produced per year. So 9 years to pay it off with no other expenses. Of course I'm just playing with averages here and thinking out loud...

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Thats like asking how much we think your brother inlaw can eat when your buying at a good steak joint and we dont have a picture of him. You need to look at the bigger picture. What is the land worth and what its worth with trees. What if you baught it just as a land investment then as a bonus you made money putting it into forest crop tax shelter and made money making syrup. Ask yourself if all goes well what can I do sap wise verses what if I have to spray every year have the state dictate wood management. What if you have a bad year and you still need to mantaine the trees pay tax and insure it. What if you live on only one acre and farm the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesegenie View Post
    There is a maple sugar operation for sale around Lanark, Dorian Heights.
    74 acres ,$250,000. how much syrup would that be?
    That's the Gemmill's operation in McDonald's Corners - about 5 miles north of us. I believe they only tap about 1200 on that property. Mom kept the advertisement from the local paper but I'm going off memory so I may be wrong. They won the grand prize at the Perth Festival of the Maples so many years they stopped entering to give everyone else a chance. They've also done very well at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto. I don't know why they are selling but they were at the OMSPA meeting last month so it was a shock to see that they were selling
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Maybe it's like , if we get our price we will sell. Seems like a lot of money,
    I don't think there even is a house other than the sugar camp.The ad is
    on Kijiji (Ottawa) with a few pics.
    120 buckets, and 18x48 Dom.Grimm pan, 14X24 preheater pan ;10gph

+ Reply to Thread