+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canning Jars to bottle syrup?

I put the families syrup in mason caning jars too. What I do is set them in the flue pan for a few minutes before I fill them to get them nice and hot so they don't bust. Put the jar under the canner and fill. Never had a jar break yet.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Lightbulb Broken Jars

From the Ball Blue Book, Guide to Home Canning and Freezing.

"In handling the jars care should be taken that you do not crack or break them due to sudden changes in temperature."

"Never put a hot jar on a cold or wet surface or in a draft. Never pour boling water or other boiling liquids into a cool jar."
    John

100+ Taps, 40 on 5/16 tubing

Lunchbox Vacuum/Releaser, hodorskib's Small Scale RO

3x7 Stainless Flat Pan

No chickens........yet.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c.../Maple%20Camp/

Howdy - We have used canning jars for years and they work great. Naturally the jars are washed - but - when we are canning our syrup we have the jars submerged in hot tap water in the sink and boil our lids and rings in a large pan. The wife and I work as a team and it goes pretty fast. I dump the hot water out of a jar and place in a empty sauce pan and she fills with hot syrup - while I'm getting another jar ready for her in another sauce pan. Also - I use a pair of tongs to lift out a ring and lid and place on a filled jar and tighten (I used to over-tighten and several wouldn't seal - Guy Thing) - seems the lids are made cheaper now and don't seal as well so gotta be careful.
    A thing that bugs me - when you buy a new box of jars - the manufacturer kindly has a new ring and lid on top of each jar - but - usually the lids have sealed while sitting in storage and are useless as the seals become messed up and the lids have to be replaced. I say - put the lids on the jars upside down so they don't seal to the jars in storage.... Yep - like they will -- LOL -- Mike

Default licking the floor

Matt,
    how long did it take to lick up a half pint worth of syrup? LOL

I have been "bulk" packaging in canning jars for the last 6 or 8 years. Mostly pints and quarts. Always wash and dry well but never found the need to prewarm the jars or lids. I have had syrup sit on the shelf for over 2 years without issue.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have had the 1/2 gallon jugs break but thats because we got them off the truck and started filling I would let atleast get to room temp. I also think if the syrup is run down the sides instead of splaching off the bottom first the chanses of breaking go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    I have had the 1/2 gallon jugs break but thats because we got them off the truck and started filling I would let atleast get to room temp. I also think if the syrup is run down the sides instead of splaching off the bottom first the chanses of breaking go down.
    Mine are actually sitting on the stove top for the last half hour or so of the syrup finishing up, so they are warm already I guess. Plus bottling at 185 or so the syrup isn't piping hot any more like when it is 217+
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

beehappy1950 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    A thing that bugs me - when you buy a new box of jars - the manufacturer kindly has a new ring and lid on top of each jar - but - usually the lids have sealed while sitting in storage and are useless as the seals become messed up and the lids have to be replaced. I say - put the lids on the jars upside down so they don't seal to the jars in storage.... Yep - like they will -- LOL -- Mike
    I noticed this, too, about the new boxes of jars. In fact I called the Ball Co and also wrote them an email complaining about this. They informed me that the lids ARE ok to use, that they will "recover" in hot water. They do recover and the rubbery stuff doesn't show a line, but I have found that sometimes they don't seal! Or they might buckle. I never had problems like this before. I complained again, not only because of the way they are now packaging the lids and rings, but also because the quality of the jars seems poor. I have found jars with small stress lines in them, sometimes pieces of plastic or a large bubble in the glass, or mis-shapen areas of the jar. I think these things are made so fast these days and cheaply, too. I bought several boxes of new jars from Wal Mart and they were all defective. I took them back. I bought several cases of jars at a local grocery store and they were fine. I think Wal Mart must buy the rejects from Ball to save money. I wish they would package the lids and rings the way they used to - in a separate layer on top with a thin cardboard in between. The Ball Co says putting the rings and lids on the jars and then shrink wrapping the whole thing is a cost savings thing. I think this is one of those modern day ideas that just stinks and it's not going to change. But go ahead and use those lids, they will be ok if you soak them in very hot water not quite to a boil for about 10 min.

Quote Originally Posted by beehappy1950 View Post
    I noticed this, too, about the new boxes of jars. In fact I called the Ball Co and also wrote them an email complaining about this. They informed me that the lids ARE ok to use, that they will "recover" in hot water. They do recover and the rubbery stuff doesn't show a line, but I have found that sometimes they don't seal! Or they might buckle. I never had problems like this before. I complained again, not only because of the way they are now packaging the lids and rings, but also because the quality of the jars seems poor. I have found jars with small stress lines in them, sometimes pieces of plastic or a large bubble in the glass, or mis-shapen areas of the jar. I think these things are made so fast these days and cheaply, too. I bought several boxes of new jars from Wal Mart and they were all defective. I took them back. I bought several cases of jars at a local grocery store and they were fine. I think Wal Mart must buy the rejects from Ball to save money. I wish they would package the lids and rings the way they used to - in a separate layer on top with a thin cardboard in between. The Ball Co says putting the rings and lids on the jars and then shrink wrapping the whole thing is a cost savings thing. I think this is one of those modern day ideas that just stinks and it's not going to change. But go ahead and use those lids, they will be ok if you soak them in very hot water not quite to a boil for about 10 min.
    You have noticed what happens when you buy from Wal Mart and the big box stores. They TELL the companies what they will pay for their products and the companies don't want to lose those big contracts so they make a cheaper product for them. This is a proven fact. I have even seen an advertisement from Stihl stating why you will never see there products in a big box store. It states they will never compromise quality to make a sale. Shop at your locally owned store and get a quality product.
    Paul
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

The last 2 cases of mason jars I bought from walmart had a peice of cardboard over the top of the jars and the lids and seals sat on that then they were all srink wrapped up in a box. It was less than a month ago. When I think about it the ones I bought at the gracery store was the same way.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast