+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW GRADING SYSTEM

Al,

I disagree with that as you could easily make fancy the first run of the season even on your rig. I made some a couple of years ago and some of it got cooked three times and slowly too and it was clearer than fancy.

Blew my mind. 8O 8O
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

The hard part will be grading based on taste. I have made light color syrup with a strong flavor. If you grade it on color it would have been medium amber, but close your eyes and taste it you would say grade B. Years ago before RO's and UV systems everybody basicly had the same sugar content and that sap needed to boil the same amount of time. Now with RO's and UV's sap that normally would have been dark and taste like dark can be made into a lighter syrup but still taste like dark.
    I know that I use grading chart as a guide but will drop the grade if it does not taste like it should.
    Keith

Well, that is a good point for sure. I don't have all that high tech equipment, so my syrup taste has always been consistent with color. No two grades of any syrup from different batches taste 100% the same, but close to it.

This is another issue you bring up because taste is now being put into dishonest human hands. Anyone can say syrup tastes a certain way to them when it might taste different to someone else. I think it needs to stay with color and nothing else because color is set in stone. It would be hard to fine someone for marketing a medium tasting syrup when it tastes dark to the inspector.

It ain't broke, don't fix it, just make 1 grading scale. If it stays with 3, that is fine with me. Down here no one knows the difference, so I really could careless. I am just interested in the maple industry as a whole and want to see the best for it as it all trickles down to all of us.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

This brings something to mind-Vermont always tooted that they had the toughest maple laws in the country? Well this was a debate going on between a N.H. Dept. of Agriculture supervisor and VT. N.H. has the exact laws as VT and Even 1 up on them and they didn't know it??Maybe they did and just didn't want to fess up or think it was right??? Well it goes like this=Its on the color-In N.H if you have a grade label on the container stating that it is dark amber it can be no lighter in color then the sample color for dark amber and no darker then the sample color---Now in VT you could label the jug Dark Amber and have "Fancy"/Light Amber in the container-Well to a consumer this is "You call it???Deception??" You were purchasing the container on the theory that there was dark amber syrup in there and got light which is not what you wanted/Pi$$ed of Customer??? I don't know but sounds deceiving to me?...Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12