+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tax question

Default Tax question

I would like to get your take on sales tax bring charged on Maple cotton candy. I understand that you sold over $30,000 in cotton candy alone. I understand that maple syrup and pure maple candy tax is not required but cotton candy is not 100% maple sugar. I do realize that you are not the tax department but I was wondering what you did for the State Fair.
    Thanks for any input.
    Brian Kelly
    Red Shed Sweets
    2x6 Leader drop flue

I am not a tax man, but as the law reads, cotton candy would be a taxable item.

"Pure" maple products are exempt.

Officials are currently fighting over the "candy" moniker on the molded sugar products (leaves). The producers know its a pure product, but because its labled "candy", the state wants it taxed.

Just another thing their tyring to get their greedy little hands on.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I never sell maple candy, I only sell it as pure molded maple sugar.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Do as Maple Flats does.

Or go a step further and drop the "molded" part.

A speaker at the VVS Seminar said he dropped that from his labels after a thousand "what do you mean, molded? Its moldy?" questions!

I know, I know, its hard to beleive. But after a while, nothing is unbelievable! You just have to shake your head.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

mfchef54 Guest

why not call it maple cotton sugar?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

When the government tried to control beef prices they used the standart cuts of meat and what happens. New cuts of meats appeard on the menu. I would add a simple nonsensical step call it something else and always include the word GARMET in the new name. I say a bottle of GORMET pankace syrup it has 25% maple syrup and added color flavoring and quagulent corn syrup and presto it was higher priced than the real stuff.

Brian-
    to put it simply, the cotton candy is a blend of cane and maple sugars and as a result is not a "pure" product and is therefore taxable. To be legal you would need a tax Id. number and all of the associated paperwork and filing to go with it. If I remember from an earlier post, you were looking to sell at a craft show. do you have any friends who will also be selling there so you could maybe umbrella under their number? Then if needed, give them the appropriate amount of money if there were any concerns over "being caught"

+ Reply to Thread