+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12V forced air question

Question 12V forced air question

Hi everyone I have been searching all the posted and been unsuccessful and finding the info I'm looking for. So hear it goes:

Has anyone that does not have hydro at their shack ever used a 12v auto heater fan on their rig, for forced air. It seems to me that it puts out a lot of air to defrost your windows and heat the inside of your car, the question is how long would one get out of a 12v car battery by running a fan like this for the day of boiling?
    Mike

2x6 3 Flat Pans Small Brother
    with blower

Stainless Steel Evaporator
    Home Made Back Steam Hood with pre-heater

600 + Tap
    Delaval VP 76 gas powered vacuum system to The Sugar Shack
    Restoring and still having Fun!

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/mikes-maple/

MR,
    Haven't tried it and it might work. Don't know how long a battery might last running it. I do have a solar collector 12v battery charger that I use on electric fences. I think cost was about $100. It would certainly make the battery last more hours even if it could not keep up with the discharge rate. Take battery to the house overnight and put on a conventional charger. Take it to the sugar shack to use and while it is being used, attach to the solar collector......

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Yes it will work just dont get a blower out of a 73 Chevy 1/2 pickup they Sucked. If you have buddies with trolling motor batteries laying around get them and have one hooked up to the sap hauler so you can charge it as you go about the day and keep swapping. put out the call that all visitors will be taken advantage of with jumper cables or 12/2 Romex upon arrival.
    I saw a 12volt on Ebay sunday also some nice Jenn air 110 volt rated for heat....$25.00

Default 12v forced draft blower

Funny you should ask because I'm about to gear up that very item on my rig.I have a 12v blower out of an old truck I put it on a test at the shop,the blower ran about 8 hours on high.It did slow some and my battery was down to about 7 v at the end.I figure run all day charge it at night at home should be fine.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Thats not bad. That crappy heater in my 73 didnt have the power to grind up and spit out the one leaf that was stuck in the fan blades. Sounded like that 1 kid on the block with the baseball card in the spokes.

Thanks guys the blower I have is out of an 85 Buick and I have 3 used 12v batteries to run it. I just need to get a 15amp rheostat to control the speed. not quite sure how many cmf it would be but it sure blew the crap off the work bench.
    Mike

2x6 3 Flat Pans Small Brother
    with blower

Stainless Steel Evaporator
    Home Made Back Steam Hood with pre-heater

600 + Tap
    Delaval VP 76 gas powered vacuum system to The Sugar Shack
    Restoring and still having Fun!

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/mikes-maple/

I would'nt worry about the amount of boiltime that it would be "on".

Think of all the hours that the donor car operated in the cold months, and probably had the heater on. I'm sure it would add up to hundreds of hours.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I am doing the car heater blower too. I went to Radio Shack and for $16.00 bought an AC adapter, just had to match up the amperage with the fan, works great.
    2008- 30 taps evaporator-Turkey fryer in the driveway.

2009- 50 taps evaporator- concrete block with stock pot.

2010- 100 taps, oil tank arch with a 2x4 Mason evaporator.

2011- 78 taps mostly gravity tubing, some buckets

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Evaporator/

Default 12 volt power

Back to the lake 8 miles in the woods,my friend has a camp.He run 12 volts lights in the camp,radio and small TV.He has 2 small solar panels on the roof to charge his batteries.He uses two 6 volts batteries,he said two 6 volts batteries last longer that one 12 volt battery.Then he has a lawnmower engine with a love joy coupling and a 12 volt alternator on a metal stand.When he has no sunshine for a few days he uses the charger to charge his batteries. Works good.Should work at the sap house. Darrell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D&G 24x96 with 12 inch cook plate Drop Flue Evaporator, Home made Preheater & Hood. Home made Butter Machine. D&G 7" Short Filter Press. http://www.facebook.com/HillbillyMapleSyrup/ 300 Taps on Vacuum , 2016.

Now that idea should get the tip of the week award!! Jim L.
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast