+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zionsville Sugaring

Just put 200 in started running by the time I got them all in. weather looks good for the next two weeks.

First syrup of the year here. Boiled 26 gallons for about 1/2 gallon of medium Amber. Great flavor and a great day to be outside. Four hours on a cinder block arch. Trees have stopped running pretty much. Looking forward to some freezing weather.

Cheers

Finally some good weather. Found four more trees for a total of 10 taps this year. Have 40 gallons in the bin for a weekend boil. Used the new sap hydrometer and it was floating at 2.7% @ 34 degrees. Street trees are a great thing.

Cheers

warren yoder Guest

Default Kirklin

Finished 2 gallons of dark amber from the "old" sap yesterday...couldn't care less if it is dark...it's great stuff! I work today then Monday and Tuesday then am off for two weeks...looks as though I can boil to my little hearts content.

Warren, - or any other mapletraders, for that matter - if you're not boiling all day Saturday you're welcome to trek down to our place near Coatesville. We're doing our annual open house day, so we will be there for sure, and there will probably be a few extra people around, too.

Let me know and I can send directions.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

Finished off 2 1/2 gallons today over a 12 hour boil. Plenty of time to decide I'm buying a proper pan next year. Looks like about a gallon more this year and then the season will be over. I've had a great time either way.

Well it's certainly over for this year. Straight from too cold to too warm within a week. Found a few more taps for the good one week run. Overall a 3 & 3/4 gallon year for me . I was worried about tapping in mid-January, but it's proven to be just fine. The weather here is just too variable to wait. Made the local papers again this year (maple syrup btw). About to pull the trigger on a 2x3 with preheater pan. Looking forward to next season (January).

warren yoder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    Warren, - or any other mapletraders, for that matter - if you're not boiling all day Saturday you're welcome to trek down to our place near Coatesville. We're doing our annual open house day, so we will be there for sure, and there will probably be a few extra people around, too.

Let me know and I can send directions.
    Doug, sorry I missed your note here....not that I could have made it down-with the way sap was running that weekend and all. I would love to see a real set-up in operation. Are you finished for the year?

I made over 9 gallons this year...previous two years I made 5/6. It was mostly dark amber. But like I said, it is such great stuff for our personal use and selling to friends and neighbors and gifting and all.

Tapped the trees around the house this afternoon. Not much action yet, but tomorrow looks promising. Plenty to work on before the big sap starts flowing.

Question

Everyone is talking about the season being over???

When do you guys normally start tapping?

I just put out 112 taps this weekend and am keeping my fingers (strike that, make that everything) crossed in hopes for a few more weeks of good weather.

Wondering now if I waited to long to tap........
    Phil Purpura
    Martinsville, Indiana
    (317) 446-0668

2010 - 55 Taps

- 160 Taps on 3/16 Tubing
    - 2 Mountain Maple Controllers with ShurFlo Pumps
    - Kawasaki 610 for Sap Hauling
    - SmokyLake 2x4 Corsair Evaporator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast