+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam Stack Condensate

Default Steam Stack Condensate

I have noticed that I have condensate that runs down the inside of my steam stack and drips into my pans, does everyone on here have a drip pan under the stack to catch the condesate? I would guess you guys with preheaters that run parallel in you hood have your condensate pan catch condesate from both your preheater and your steam stack. My preheater is a double decker and only runs through the back third of my hood so the condensate tray does not extend far enough to catch the condesate from the steam stack. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ackerman75; 02-21-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: mis print
    Jamie Ackerman
    2X6 evaporator, homemade steam hood, and preheater
    200 taps all buckets 2013
    Honda 300 fourtrax sap hauler w/ 2-35 gal. tanks

right on ackerman
    catch tray under the steam stack

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Take a SS or aluminum Pizza pan take 1 bar sink drain strainer Home Depot. Cut hole a little smaller than the strainer and hammer the area around the hole to create a indentation/slope to the pizza pan for positive drain. Bar sink strainer work because they will clamp onto thin sheet metal. Hang under steam stack and allow room for steam to flow around it but not so low as to have sap jumping into it. Plumb with metal pea trap fittings out the hood side.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 02-22-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Also, some have run a small channel all around the inside of the steam stock close to the bottom of the stack and caught it this way. I knew an old sugarmaker that did that and he had a 4x14 and a 3x8 Leader sitting side by side and he sold all of his condensate as distilled water.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    Also, some have run a small channel all around the inside of the steam stock close to the bottom of the stack and caught it this way. I knew an old sugarmaker that did that and he had a 4x14 and a 3x8 Leader sitting side by side and he sold all of his condensate as distilled water.

I like it - where do you find round channel? Or how do you bend channel?
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

Haynes Forest Products Guest

You need to find a Norwegien that has a set of ring cake molds and steal the bottom piece. I do like the bunt cake mold idea. How about the beauty ring off the neighbors caddy

I catch all of my condensate with a tray slung under the 2 stacks and it drains into the hood drain channel and out into a bucket.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread