+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Novice in Northern West Virginia

I am finding the first year pretty different then I expected also. I figured that once it warmed up the stupid trees would start dripping. Turns out my idea of warm and theirs is a bit different. I get lots of exersice so far also as its a half mile down the the end and back and I traveled it 5 times today. Out of all that I got 4 liters of sap and a sore back. I am looking foreward to the next day so far still.
    Jax try and mark all your trees this summer so that you can find them easy. I did mine with red surveyers tape and then it was a matter of just wadeing thru snow and tapping them.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Hey Jax, how much syrup did ya make?

New York, NY
    6 taps: #4 Grims - Collection: 6 - 5 gal. Spackle Buckets - Storage: 30 gallon plastic garbage cans
    (you can stop laughing now)

Jax,
    Welcome aboard fellow WV syrup maker, are their any other camps in the Northern Panhandle? You made a wise choice to join on the Mapletrader site, it stays active with maple info all year long. check in and you can learn alot from all different size producers, very small to semi- large. The super size producers do not have time to post. I'm sure they have way to much to do, sometimes I feel I'm in over my head, so I can only imagine what it's like for them! If you are ever over in the Smoke Hole region of the Eastern Panhandle look me up. I would be more than happy to help out a fellow West Virginia Syrupmaker.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123