+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leader king

Default leader king

Does anyone know if a 1984 leader king would have lead free solder? Also, what would be a good deal for this? Its a 3x8 in good condition with front and back hoods. The wood arch needs some tin work in the back, but is usable the way it is.

Thanks
    John

I doubt that it is lead-free solder becuase of its age. I thought lead-free solder did'nt come into play until the mid '90's.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Don't know about Leader, but my 1991 Grimm was right around the time they switched to lead-free. Mine is lead-free...

you can get easy-to-use test strips at hardware store.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Is this era evaporator something to stay away from? It seems like a good deal, but I don't want to have any issues. I sell syrup both retail and in bulk.

John

most states have set "acceptable" levels of lead allowed in syrup. I know folks who make very good syrup with lead soldered pans and pass the lead level test easily.

I have tried to get lead out of my production process. The only place I have it is in my buckets. My levels when tested were lower than 1/2 of the allowable level by the state. That test was done when I had an older Grimm canner which I would guess had lead solder. So I would guess I'm better off now- ?
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by jmattice View Post
    Does anyone know if a 1984 leader king would have lead free solder? Also, what would be a good deal for this? Its a 3x8 in good condition with front and back hoods. The wood arch needs some tin work in the back, but is usable the way it is.
    Leader began to switch to lead-free solder in 1991. All the manufacturers switched to lead-free solder in 1994. If there is any question, there are lead-check kits (a swab like thing) available in hardware stores that will reliably indicate whether the solder is lead or non-lead. A 1984 vintage evaporator would almost certainly be lead-soldered.

That said, it is certainly possible to make maple syrup below the lead action level in a lead-soldered evaporator as long as you don't have a lot of other sources of contamination, take some precautions, and submit a sample for lead analysis on occasion to verify things are going OK.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread