+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it work ?

Default Would it work ?

Looking for a cheap way to preheat my sap , was going to wrap 40 ft of 1/2 inch copper tubing around my smoke stack,hooked up to a small circulator pump , i have a 160 gal stainless tank feeding my rig ,was going to pump it back into it. Would this work ?

It would work but, if you dont boil all of it off that day your taking a big chance that it will spoil.why not just do the copper and value it on the bottom end so you can control the flow going into your pan just be careful you dont burn it inside the copper piping. cpmaple
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

Yes. This is a common way results are mixed , outside/inside, wraped with an insulator. Try two valves one at the flue pan so you can hold the sap n the coil for longer and one just outside the tank so you can open the bottom and control the sap from the tank and not boil the sap in the heater if you are doing things. ( start up shut down, etc.)

Good luck
    Ent, Tree Herder

I made a preheater like this for my old homemade evaporator. I wrapped 2 - 25' lengths of 3/8" copper tubing around the stack.
    Things I learned:
    1) as the tubing is in direct contact with the pipe, which is in direct contact with fire, sap will boil inside it if sap does not constantly flow.
    2) don't vent it or when it does boil it spews out the vent.
    3) wrapping copper tubing tight around 8" pipe requires more hands than my two, my wifes 2, and my sons 2. (solution - wrap it around 7", then spring it to fit the 8")
    4)it is an economical way to preheat sap!
    Ifn' I was you, I wouldn't bother to circulate warm sap back into the feed tank. As cp has said, valve it at the bottom and let it flow into the pan.
    I've attached a picture of my old one.
    Darren
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darren

Tapped 100 % Red maple for 14 years.
    Grew from 22 trees to 325.
    New woodlot and sugarwoods will have 3-4000 taps.
    3x8 LaPierre raised flue already bought and waiting patiently in storage.
    Looking forward to using 3/16" tubing.
    Can't wait for 2019!!!

what we did was started low and wrapped up and back into the tank just put a smaller head tank so u know u will use it all one night
    and let it circulate

lpakiz Guest

I recommend (if you need more heat) that after you wrap the tubing around the pipe that you insulate it also ...

I used 3/8 copper last year the same way, wrapped around my 8 inch stack on the outside with fiberglass insulation over it and an extra piece of flue pipe around that. I started out with around 25 feet of it and it didn't warm it up all that much, I added another 25 feet or so and then it still wasn't warm but then my flow coming out couldn't keep up with my boil rate. 2x6 flat pan on cement blocks. this year I am going back to the original 25 feet or so and putting it inside the stack. I have a valve at the feed tank and one on the end of the pipe just before it dumps into the pan. good luck

Johnny Cuervo made a fantastic preheater with the ability to regulate the temperature. Check out this link: http://flickr.com/photos/57535094@N0...7601539320490/ Oops, read on and follow link at post #11, sorry, error.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-29-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: correction info
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave,

Looks like link you posted is not any good??
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Try to slip the coil over the stack section it is going to be placed on. Just open the coil up enough to make it fit and slip it down. It will slip on hard and you need to be patient, but it will go!! The nice tight fit makes the copper look like it grew there.
    Insulating the copper is the key to getting high temperatures. I wrap the copper with roof flashing and finish it off with some pan gasket. Now your talking about some seriously preheated sap. Put a valve on the end and let her trickle in.
    The problem is getting the trickle right so you dont have vapor lock situations. I will be adding a vent to mine this year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast