+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bucket Question

Quote Originally Posted by lobstafari View Post
    I would really try to skip the whole hook idea, and drill a big enough hole in the bucket for the whole tap to fit through, then there will be a lip on the pail that hangs on the tab made on the spout. The hook will just mess you up. A metal 7/16" tap will hold a full 5 gal pail of sap, just dont rock it around and beat on it all the time. Speedbor bits work well for the hole in the pail, but give yourself some wiggling room, trust me. Its go time sap here this weekend, boil on Monday I bet.
    Lobsta, how big a hole do you drill?
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    2x5.5 Lapierre Raised Flue, AUF
    150 taps on gravity line
    2011 John Deere Gator XUV, gonna be a great hauler
    Wood Wolf Splitter
    One VERY understanding wife

and just a follow up- I speed-bored a 1.25 inch hole in the side of one of these buckets- only problem is the rigid rim I have is about and inch down, so the hole is about 2" below the lip. Looks like my 5 gallon buckets just became 4 by loosing those 2 inches. Maybe the hook hole would work ok?
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    2x5.5 Lapierre Raised Flue, AUF
    150 taps on gravity line
    2011 John Deere Gator XUV, gonna be a great hauler
    Wood Wolf Splitter
    One VERY understanding wife

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Quote Originally Posted by lobstafari View Post
    Buck,
    Sounds great, but something to try, instead of snapping lids down, set them on there and just flip the bucket handle up, and it will "lock" it on there !!...
    I've used the "handle-lock" method at times, too, and it usually works very well and it's a good suggestion. Some of my buckets don't have handles, however, and with certain others the handle is too wide. I corrected my post, above. After thinking about it, I only snap the back of the cover down for easier access. I figured that out after dealing with a lot of ice.

Instead of drilling holes in plastic pails, I melt them. The location that I wanted for the hole was on top of a rib on the pail. I heated a 3/4 copper coupling with a torch, ( held with pliers ) , and melted nice clean holes right through the plastic. They hang just fine on a Grimm or Soule style spout without a hook.
    Jeff
    226 taps, 2X6 evap with homemade piggyback
    "Four Corners Farm"
    Jefferson, Ohio

Thumbs up Plastic buckets vs gallon collection containers

I want to thank you all for sharing your valuable experience. This is my first of many years, I hope, for making maple syrup. I read Back Yard Sugarin' and as I use alot of distilled water by the gallon for my sleep apnea, I decided to tap twenty trees. I lost alot of sap as the containers were overflowing everyday when I got home from work. This all started because my in-laws gave me a 'Tap My Trees' kit for Christmas. In the kit there are three 5 gallon buckets with lids made by Embee Plastics. I emailed Embee to see how much they charge but they told me I need to contact the Tap MY Trees people. After reading everything you all wrote I've decided that I'm just going to make my own collection buckets. So far this year I've made a little over three gallons of dark maple syrup on the arch I fashioned out of a 55 gallon drum. I wish I started doing this years ago! Thanks again for sharing your experience.
    Bill

Try your local grocery store bakery. They have icing buckets they will either give away or sell.

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12