+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting ready

Default Getting ready

58 degrees here in TC. Snow is going away fast! I had 1100 taps on tubing last year, but squirrels or something ruined all of it. Im gonna hang a couple hundred buckets on road trees, and I found a little tubing stashed away that I forgot about in my sap house so I guess this weekend im gonna get it strung out to as many trees as I can in the woods.

I wanna be ready by the 7th of March
    1250 taps on vacuum
    3x12 drop flue King.
    Springtech 500 RO
    300 buckets on road trees.

Critter ruined it beyond repair?!? In one year!!???

I hope whatever it was can't swim over to Wisconsin. Haynes, you let me know if you see a big wake from these things coming across the bay!

Seriously, that is unbelievably bad luck. What kind of damage?
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

It was FULL of chew holes. I left it out all year. I wont ever do that again!
    1250 taps on vacuum
    3x12 drop flue King.
    Springtech 500 RO

Did you use a cleaning solution in the tubes? There is a trend away from using anything other than water and air to clean, as the chemicals can leave a 'salty' residue the critters like.
    Were the holes little, 1/4" size, teeth marks?
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
    Did you use a cleaning solution in the tubes? There is a trend away from using anything other than water and air to clean, as the chemicals can leave a 'salty' residue the critters like.
    Were the holes little, 1/4" size, teeth marks?
    I just rinse with plain water. I had never used anything but plain water.

Yes they were tiney double teeth marks, about 1/4". Most of them were just one bite...not even a hole...just one bite, and they were able to make a leak, and there were HUNDREDS of those little bitten spots. In a lotta places there would be 2,3, or 4 feet of tubing full of those tiney bites. I went through 300 straight connectors, and 10 rolls of electrical tape, and finally gave up, and pulled it all out, cut the tees, straight connectors, spiles, and manifolds out, the threw all the tubing away
    Last edited by michiganfarmer; 02-10-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    1250 taps on vacuum
    3x12 drop flue King.
    Springtech 500 RO

**** the luck, thats gotta hurt.

Home depot was just running a sale on 5 gal buckets. $2.50 ea if memory serves. The lids were another $1.98. We bought the place down here out.

Just finished putting the sugar shack together,all the tanks are washed the evapoartor's put together,woods stack in front The buckets are 1/2 full here we go should be boiling this weekend for sure.

+ Reply to Thread