+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underway in New York City

Default Underway in New York City

I installed a couple of taps today, they started running immediately. I'll probably do the "rest" this week sometime.

My goal is the same as it is every year -- 1 gallon of maple syrup. Wish me luck, heh!

My 10-day forecast looks great with above/below freezing numbers the entire way.

Hi again to all my friends at mapletrader -- just thought I'd check-in like I usually do this time of year.

Good luck to everyone this season!
    New York, NY
    6 taps: #4 Grims - Collection: 6 - 5 gal. Spackle Buckets - Storage: 30 gallon plastic garbage cans
    (you can stop laughing now)

eye8astonie Guest

Tomahawk,

Just curious how you boil down there in the city? I just moved back into the city of Binghamton, and fire dept. says I can't run my wood-fired barrel stove in town. I've only got one tree to tap in my back yard, but I know I could find more trees to tap if I had a way to boil more efficiently. I'll probably do most on the side burner of my gas grill, and/or fire up the turkey fryer for the larger runs. Not efficient, but enough to quell the sugar bug a little.

Duane

Tomahawk,

Great to see ya back again. Keep us posted on how the season goes and how much you produce!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Quote Originally Posted by eye8astonie View Post
    Tomahawk,

Just curious how you boil down there in the city? I just moved back into the city of Binghamton, and fire dept. says I can't run my wood-fired barrel stove in town. I've only got one tree to tap in my back yard, but I know I could find more trees to tap if I had a way to boil more efficiently. I'll probably do most on the side burner of my gas grill, and/or fire up the turkey fryer for the larger runs. Not efficient, but enough to quell the sugar bug a little.

Duane
    That just sounds crazy! I know that where I am, for example, barrel burning of garbage is illegal, and they've cracked down hard on outdoor wood boilers, but we do campfires in the lower yard all summer long, and I always have a package of hotdogs nearby so I can say that I'm cooking, and not just burning yard waste. (I am burning yard waste - deadfall from the trees - but that's just because I'm not going to buy wood when I've got plenty enough giving my lawnmower a hard time!) Anyway... do you know what the reasoning is for the ixnay on your barrel arch?

And tomohawk, I'm also curious as to how you boil in the city. And where do you find the trees?
    Last edited by Clan Delaney; 02-09-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    Tomahawk,

Great to see ya back again. Keep us posted on how the season goes and how much you produce!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Brandon!!

Sap is flowing nice today. I]ve harvested about 10 gallons already from only 2 buckets so far. Gotta get the rest in soon.

You make syrup any yet?
    New York, NY
    6 taps: #4 Grims - Collection: 6 - 5 gal. Spackle Buckets - Storage: 30 gallon plastic garbage cans

Tomahawk,

Duane

I use a few different methods, changing it up all the time because none of them are really any good.

I use the turkey fryer until whatever friends discarded propane I have collected over the year is gone.

I have a natural gas connection to my gas grill so sometimes i hook the turkey fryer up to that with a makeshift adapter. But, since the turkey fryer is jetted for propane, it makes alot of soot which is a real pain to clean up.

I'll then take the grill inserts and flavor bars out of my Weber gas grill and try to put some large pans down near the flames. I really need to have a specific size pan fabricated out of stainless steel that'll fit tightly into the grill but I priced it out and it's too expensive.

So, I usually end up with pots and pans on the 4 burner stove top in my kitchen. It's bad, the windows drip with condensation and large pools collect on the sills -- but worst of all, it takes FOREVER. I think I spent 20 hours evaporating 50 gallons of sap 2 years ago.

Needless-to-say, I need a better system -- the right size (custom made) pan in the gas grill is likely my best option. I just won't break down and spend the money.

Thanks for your interest eye8astonie and good luck to you this year!
    New York, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Clan Delaney View Post
    ... And where do you find the trees?
    I have a park with a small wooded area right near my residence. There are about ten maples there, half are red and half are sugar, so that's where I tap. I carry the sap back and store it in a (clean) garbage can.

How big is your operation?

Thanks Clan and good luck this season!
    New York, NY

Tomahawk,

Duane
    your town fathers have to much time on there hands if they do this kind of stuff. If it was me and it was at one time I would move. Can't imagine what they are doing to the schools and the taxes. just my 2 cents
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

How big is your operation?

Thanks Clan and good luck this season!
    Small. But only compared to what I could do, I guess. So let's say... big enough for now. 18 taps, 10 gallons last year.
    Things didn't come together the way I'd hoped for this season, so I'm scaling back. I'll make enough for the family for the year on the propane and have already arranged to sell sap to another Trader down in CT. In my spare time, I'll be sticking my head in at Jim's (mapleman3's) sugar house and learning some more about running the "big rigs". If good things really do come to those who wait, then I've got a tidal wave of sap coming for me next year.
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

eye8astonie, I think it is the law in NYS that you can burn wood to cook food, maple syrup IS food. They may be able to regulate safety issues and how the evaporator is set up for clearance to combustables but you should be able to use a wood fired evaporator. Check for the NYS law relating to cooking fires and cooking with wood, you should be able to get these online if you can word the search right.
    What did the fire dept say was the reason for not being able to use it?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast