+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone tapping this week?????

Default anyone tapping this week?????

I am looking at the weather for this week and wondering if anyone is planning on tapping this weekend??? I'm still learning and am looking for advice on dates to start tapping

Hey there 03,
    New myself and wondering the same. I [I]think[I] it's a bit early, but not too sure. I only tapped for the 1st time last year on a whim and it was 3-18 when I put in the 1st taps. So, I think we'll continue to get ready and try and be patient.......
    2008-1st Year= Gas grill+CampStove, 4 trees= 2+1/2 qts syrup
    2009-2nd Year=25x11 wood stove+ SS pan+ Camp stove for finishing+ 2 turkey fryers, 19 or so trees= 3gals
    2013-now @Lavoie's Sugar Shack (Backyard Sugaring on MTrader) ,evaporator and RO Lee built, sink with running hot/cold water,stainless table, a new filtering/bottling setup, a newly poured concrete floor....all the luxuries!!
    Now we have over 100 taps and in 2015 made over 30 gallons!

03, I'm looking at the 10-day forecast where you are, and it does look tempting... good conditions for the coming week. But then it looks like it's going to cool down again during the days starting next weekend.

Last year I tapped on the first weekend of March, and right now I plan on tapping on the last weekend of Feb. I'm starting to itch, though.
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

looked at all the dates and I will just get everything ready and wait for the 2nd week in march to tap. that would be the same as the last 2 years. If the weather changes we will adjust the timing.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

I'm ready to start tapping in my mind, but I am still putting the finishing touches on my evaporator and waiting for the pan to arrive I just don't want to miss the start of the season

Default tapped!

In mild suburban Boston I tapped my expansive sugarbush of three trees (5 taps) today (Feb. 7)!
    I figure it's not too early - last year I tapped on Valentine's Day.
    Last year, it was taps-out by March 15.

Let the harvest begin.....

I wish it would turn cold again. For shure it is going to!!! Every day my dad is after me to get tapped missing the best week ... It's to early!!! Man if I'm wrong I will never hear the end of it!!!!!!
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

No... Way too early, Last weekend of Feb usually here. My north Bush in New Salem wont run maybe till Mid March, I am not worried about a few warm days. we still have a foot of snow in spots, cold weather will return

No... I'm not tapping
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Not yet. I'm still replacing a few drops and tommorrow hope to put up tubing in a few yards where I have to take it down. I will see what the outlook is later in the week and then might tap next week end.
    Keith

40to1 how did your taps run? most of my taps are in Brookline and Newton I just boil at my house in Billerica

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast