+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tap based on this forecast?

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Tap based on this forecast?

I just arrived in east central Minnesota and am excited to tap. Here's what they are predicting for highs and lows:

Today: 20 and 2
    Wednesday: 35-40 and 25
    Thursday: 40 and 22
    Friday: 40 and 15
    Saturday: 35 and 15
    Sunday: 35 and 22

Normally this would be too early to tap in this part of the state. Should I just go for it based on the forecast, or wait until I know it's running?

Throw a couple of buckets out, see how they do. Defiantly early but you never know
    I'm guessing the trees are going to take a little while to thaw out.
    I'm about 40 mi north of you and the past few night's it's been -20 below or close to it.
    Accuweather, if you can believe it, shows above just above freezing every day starting Wednesday and 40's for a couple of days. So based on that I may be tapping in a week or two. But, I wouldn't bother tapping unit I know it's running good. Of course it will only take me a day or so to tap all the tree's, guess I'd wait until you know for sure it's running, not based on the forecast. It was only supposed to get down to -10 below and it was -17 last night. We'll see if their correct with the warm spell.
    What part of Alaska are you from??

Just be patient, you won't get any sap from those temps. Everything is deeply frozen and it would take 2 or 3 days in 40's to 50 to get everything thawed out. If the calendar says it's way too early, then it is probably right.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Sounds like good advice from both of you

It seems like there's a large "inertia" effect from previous weather. This time of year I also tend to be a bit skeptical of unusually warm weather reports until it actually happens. Looks like they are already backing off a bit on the forecast.

I reviewed the Maple Syrup Producer's Manual to see what they had to say in the "When to Tap" section. I couldn't get much out of it because they were so vague, and I suppose they were so vague because there are so many variables.

Benchmark, I live in Fairbanks, I grew up on the family farm here in Rush City.

Go for it. I'd tap with that forecast. Why not? The season only lasts about 6 weeks at the longest anyway. If you tap now there's no way you'll miss anything anyway. If the trees stay frozen they won't do anything anyway.

The sap you get at the beginning of the season is the best, anyway.

If the trees quit when you are making end of the season swill, great.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

+ Reply to Thread