+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost time

Funny you should bring up 1977.

I pasted a post of mine from 2 years ago for peoples enlightenment.

markcasper
    Maple Addict Join Date: Dec 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writing to find out if any one ever experienced the spring of 1977?

I was not making syrup at the time, but my neighbor was and I will share with you his story that he will freely share every spring, whether you want to hear ir or not.

Its like this: The fall of 76 was extremely dry. Not as bad as 1988, but still darn dry. The whole winter of 76/77 was VERY cold and very little snow. In fact, if you pay attention to the weather records, the months of Dec, Jan, and Feb had many record lows set that year(s).

The neighbor usually set around 1500 bags each year. His brother-in-law also makes syrup and they both had the itch to drill a few test taps as it was already March 15th of 77 and the weather had finally started to warm up. They both drilled a few holes in their respective bushes and the holes were completely bone dry, as if you were drilling into a 2x6 that had been laying in the shed for a few years. Their decision was this, there was going to be no tapping and no season that spring.

Lo and behold the next day became overcast and by evening it was raining, after a few hours HARD. Sometime that evening the cold air came in and the rain changed to heavy wet snow. It was determined that there was 2 inches af rain and 8 inches of HEAVY March snow. Later on in the morning , that being St. Patricks Day, March 17th, the sun broke out and was very wonderful.

My neighbor recieved a call at his work from his brother-in-law who had phoned him to let him know that the holes they had drilled 2 days before had erupted with sap. My neighbor left early from work that afternoon (he was a loan officer then) and headed right up to the woods. What the brother-in-law told him about was confirmed true. He had no bags put together, soon his kids came home from school and they all started working feverishly to put some bags and holders together. They headed out to the woods and managed to tap in 125 that day yet. The next day was a Saturday and all of the kids were home. They all pitched in and got 775 tapped that day. Interesting to me......about 80% of the bags that were hung the night before were running over that next morning. The trees had ran all night.

By Saturday noon, they also had to start gathering. By Sunday the 19th of March, they had the pans down and were boiling and gathering frantically.
    It was like this ALL season. It didn't matter if it froze or not....the trees ran solid for 3 weeks straight. There was only one day out of the entire season that no gathering took place, and that day it was raining.

Soon, Easter Sunday rolled around, that being April 10th. My neighbor recalled gathering with the kids in shorts, with the afternoon temp. reaching 86 degrees. That was the last day of the season. They made 710 gallons of syrup out of 900 taps. The syrup was all light amber, except one milkcan full which was the last one in the evaporator.

Roughly 1/4 of the syrup had gotten real buddy towards the end. When the local vocational ag. teacher stopped for a visit, he spit it out it tasted so bad. Luckily, he hauled all of that up north and the packer bought it all, no questions.

My neighbor has told of this spring so many times.....I just had to share. He never has seen a season since, but he attributted the HUGE run due to the extreme dry winter. Plus the fact that everyhting fell into place....the trees got moisture, the temps were right and BANG. I cannot understand though, how could they run so solidly without it freezing. Only God knows I guess.

So...does anybody recall that year out in syrup land?? If so, please share. Mark
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Mark- I like the story. Theron

Hard to beleave as cold as it is here in NY that we could have some good runs in just six weeks, maybe even sooner!!!! I hope not much sooner. I'm not at all ready!!! I do know that the last of our syrup hit that plate this morning. All that is left is some rock candy in the bottom of a jar. Better keep a little extra this season.
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

Patheron, I hope you think it was real, it was. Some do not believe me. You can ask anyone in this area that was actively making syrup in 77 and they will all recall the year. No vacuum either!!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

great story. i cant wait to tap and collect the first sap. im shooting to tap feb 10 if temps allow. still have to get jugs and get buckets out
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

Let's hope that it doesn't do that this year, at least in Theron's area. I would hate to have to attend a funeral about the end of March.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

i don't remember that cause it was befor my time but i think it was like 91 or 92 i was helping my cousin and the trees ran strait for two weeks we gathered buckets twice a day and they were running over when we got to them
    Boyd
    750 taps on vacuum
    150 taps on gravity
    122 buckets
    250 gph homemade ro
    3x8 raised flue pans on a homemade air over arch
    hoods and preheater
    my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it
    http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/jrthe3/

Mark- I dont doubt it for a minute. Things like sap running arent totally scientific I dont think. Must be things were just right and thats what you get. Boy, Id like to see that happen. Brandon- Im telling myself that Im not going to let myself get all freaked out this year. Im just going to work at it steady and have a good time. Theron

Could you imangine if we all had it run so hard that we wouldn't be able to handle 1/2 the sap??
    Mark

Theron,

I know you aren't, I have to give you a hard time. As far as what Mark said, if it ran that hard, bulk would probably be at $ 1.00 to $ 1.50 @ lb. So it would be all that work for next to nothing.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast