+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bottling

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Default Bottling

How do you bottle syrup?........Well Chuck why do you ask?

I bottle my syrup by first getting it to the right density in the finishing pan and recirculater it back into the finish pan to get the press good and hot and to get the hoses cleaned out and full of nice clean syrup and I pump into clean bottler and maintain at about 200-210 degrees.

1)Remove bottle from box fill with syrup
    2)Remove cap from bag and cap bottle within 5 seconds
    3)Tighten as tight as possible without stripping threads (plastic)
    4)Place bottle on side to sterialize inside of cap 15 seconds
    5)Place bottle in water bath to wash bottle and place on table
    by open window with fan blowing to cool down before boxing and stacking

Now to the question Why do I get mold in some bottles not all crappity black and white mold that stinks but a thin layer of off white mold that shrinks and floats on top of the sap and quits growing. I dont know when or how fast it grew because it sat in my cool storage room in the basement in the dark.

Things I think I should do differant

1)Heat the caps to 250 degrees before using
    2)do not allow ANY sap on the lip befor caping (impossible) A.D.D A.D.H.D. and to much beer
    3) Do not cool down the bottles so fast
    4) do not use caps that are left over from last year even though I store them in a plastic container.

I was told that you dont even need to tip the bottles because the steam will condense on the inside of the cap and your good.

So let me have it what is it Im doing wrong. I have always sold my syrup bulk and now I have a chance to sell all the syrup I have but I have to bottle and label with thair lables and I dont want any problems and I dont have the ability to quorintine the product.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 01-09-2009 at 02:43 PM.

200 to the filter press is normal_- but bottle at 180-190deg. Does it happen in glass at all? I suspect the seal on the cap or a bad lot of jugs. Sounds like air got in. Don't heat the caps. They will soften. And the syrup too hot may be warping the jug neck. Also the wash may be cooling the neck and keeping it warped just a bit. Thus bad seal and allowing just a bit of air in
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

My thought is that you don't leave the hot syrup in contact with the cap long enough. I leave my bottles on their side or upside down till they're cool.

They say all it has to do is touch the cap momentarily... so that shouldn't be the problem
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

I was talking about glass bottles with metal caps. Most times my supplier gives me metal caps which i like better because you can crank them down But I like the safty seal neck of the plastic. I could use the heat shrink covers on the metal caps but I dont sell them so I dont worry about it.
    I bottled about 400 small jugs in 08 and didnt like the way the caps strip or seam to cross thread or looked crooked. I also had some mold in a few jugs and because you cant see into the jug Im thinking of scrapping them back into this years syrup and not use them. I heard that if you get a little amount of sap on the lip it will cause problems. So if you get a dribble on it how do you clean the lip without contaminating it? I was leary of wiping the jug with a clean cloth because you will spread the problem.

Hmmm Glass.... ok I still do think its a seal problem..... I haven't done a tremendous amount of glass but still have some from years ago on display that still look the same as when they were bottled. I may suspect the caps... I have only used plastic caps and I think they may seal better(maybe whatever is in the cap for a seal may help) I look forward to see what some others say too.

and also a wax seal could be used over the caps(some do that for decoration and protection)
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

You mention your first step is to remove the bottle from the box. Silly question, but are the bottles clean? Something I learned from bottling beer - never trust that anything is clean or sterile unless you've done it yourself.

I didn't do a lot of bottling last year, but what bottles I used (plastic) were rinsed with very hot water and let to drip dry upside down on a towel for 10 minutes or so before filling them. The wet towel makes a kind of seal to keep out any air until you're ready to use them. They were filled, capped immediately (caps were rinsed in warm water as well), inverted and left to cool on their own. Didn't see any mold on any bottles we've opened this year. No one I sold to mentioned anything either.
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

The answer is clear. It is that Wisconsin syrup. Just kidding!!
    I read your method and I do not see anything that sticks out as being obvious. I keep my syrup between 185 and 190 to keep the syrup from releasing more nitre. If you were getting nitre release it would settle out on the bottom or the syrup would be alittle cloudy.
    Are you sure on the density? If it is alittle low it could be causing it. Otherwise with 50 ml bottles the bottles need to be warm because there just isn't enough syrup to sterilize it.
    Also make sure you have good liability ins. Ther is always someone out there looking to make a buck by saying they got sick on a product.
    Keith

My method is what everyone else was doing . Two other producers do about the same thing and that is what I followed. I have to think its the Glass its made back east. The one thing that comes to mind is the person putting the cap on is not getting them tight. I dont get niter build up its stays nice and clear.

Haynes,
    Can't be made in New Hampsha, we make good glass!!!!
    We do glass and we don't have a problem with any mold.
    Tell you what, in the morning, I'll go out and unpack the glass that we have done up and check it out.
    We never go above 190 for a temperature as it will release niter if it's 200 or over (same as brookledge said).
    I'll get back to you!!

Dave
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast