+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Saugerties

mfchef54 Guest

Default Tapped in Saugerties

Put out 9 taps sunday afternoon late. Sap was Flowing as I was tapping. 22 hours later I'm boiling on the cajun cooker. alittle over a pint made. Can't wait until I have enough to start the evaporator. looks like I should be able to collect a little more today.

I think you have the most taps in NY right now! Hope I didn't have any influence on you being crazy and tapping in December.

nice! hope it goes well!
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

mfchef54 Guest

It will probably the last time I have the most. By the way I was already crazy you just showed me another way to prove it. my wife put me up to it.
    Gathered another 5 gallons yesterday and put it in the freezer at work to lessen boiling time.

Why didn't you just leave it outside? It's 5 degrees up here and windy.

did that last year and took 25 gallons and condensed it into just over 11 gallons just by transferring buckets for 2 days!

Works real well.

BTW its ridiculous outside. How much snow did you guys get on the mountain? about 5" here
    80-100 taps

mfchef54 Guest

Van, Because I'm working 12 hours a day. I can boil it on the stove tomorrow.
    and be warm.
    pancake, we got about 5 in saugerties but that wind last night practically blew it all away. haven't had time to check on tree damage yet. sorry to hear about you tree damage. there was that much to prevent you from tapping?

mfchef54 Guest

wife reports that early run stopped yesterday.

I had a bush that primarily the taps were on and along big trails and when the ice came they had no support around them and large branches sheered off then there was the problems with the poplars falling into them. Really its a combination of things but if i did sugar this year it would be on a lot less taps then before. If the bush was by my house it would have sustained minimal damage, but its about 15 min north and they got crushed out there. Then the sugarshack is being built and my ducks aren't in a row.

I working on talking to a few neighbors about tapping some of their large trees to make up some taps. If i can get the go ahead on that i'll being sugaring ... if not i don't see the point on firing up the evaporator for a small amount of taps.

I should say i'll be doing it either way because if i don't have the taps i'm gonna help a sugar maker south of me that has had heart problems and shouldn't really be collecting anyway but just can't quit the maple bug. So i'll collect he'll boil and we'll work out a deal on some syrup.

6 degrees here right now at 8pm ish
    80-100 taps

mfchef54 Guest

At least you will be boiling. Made some maple sugar for the first time with the freezer ro'd sap. I have it in a plastic bag right now but the smell is great. wonderful thing maple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast