+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Christmas start in VA

Default A Christmas start in VA

Christmas day was really nice here in central Virginia. I decided it'd be a good day to tap some trees that I had had some sap runs on last year and lo and behold I had myself a little Christmas run. I put the two taps in around 4pm yesterday and this morning had about a liter combined. Not bad.

Last year was my first year and I put 4 taps in at the end of January or early February. Only got sap from one tree for about a week. This year I decided to start a little earlier and tapped just after Thanksgiving but on a tree that I never got anything from last year (I thought maybe it was an early runner and I'd catch it) - but I haven't gotten anything from that one still.

The one tree that did run really nicely for me last year was the one that I started with yesterday and I was surprised that it was running already - hopefully I didn't miss too many days yet!

So here's hoping for at least double my syrup this season (2 cups!)

Casey

Creuzy,
    I think you did the right thing by tapping early. What size holes did you drill?
    I wish I was ready to drill, I believe after this big freeze we are going to get this week the water is going to flow. We finally started getting some moisture, Mostly rain. If you have moisture in the ground you should get a good run off of this freeze.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Casey, the tree you tapped around Thanksgiving will need to be retapped,
    the hole will have dried up by now. I would wait untill the cold snap where expecting late this week has pass. I'll be tapping in about two weeks.
    Good luck this year. Gerry
    Leader 2x6 drop flue
    285taps
    185 on sugars
    no longer looking for more trees

Creuzy,
    Did you have any luck this spring, I know its warmer in Lousia than where I live in Harrisonburg. Once when I tapped a Silver and Norway in my yard I tapped them in early Jan. I did that to show my young boys how water come from a tree and we boiled it on the stove to show them that it will turn sweet tasting.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread