I have been looking into the possibility of some disaster aid for maple producers who suffered losses as a result of the recent ice storm. The first thing you should do is contact your local FSA (Farm Service agency) office and report your losses. This is a critical first step.

The Commissioner of Ag. has asked the governor to work with USDA to declare a disaster.

Sending a copy of your damage report to the Mass. Department of Ag Resources will help their efforts to support a declaration of emergency. The FSA may want to document your damage so contact your local office ASAP, and take photos of your damage and your remedial work to document any damage claim.

If there are any questions re: FSA contact, farmers can contact DAR.

submitted by Tom Mccrumm