+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just a few Design Questions

i would have to say haynes that your right the alum is warming up fast ...

This is an interesting subject. I get lots of condensate, but don't know how much is from the hood and how much from the preheater. At startup, when the hood is cool I'm sure we get a lot of condensate on the inside. After things warm up, I bet most is from the preheater which is always cold. The temp inside the sugarhouse is key.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

mine was aluminum and it always gave me lots of condensate...well at least I thought 5 gal per hour for a 2x6 was good just off the back pan and preheater....

the 3x8 i have now is SS and with the extra hood over and above the syrup pan I bet I will double that amount at minimum

so it will be interesting to see if there is a diff between using alum and SS
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The hood does get past the touching stage and I dont have a preheater in the hood mine is a boiler type from the flue gas. When I open the hood hatch and look in you dont see water raining down or alot of dripping. I do have heat in the room T shirts and open doors thats for sure. There is always the chance that out of dumb luck we made a cheap,light well working hood that I alone can take off and replace.

On my hood (aluminum) When it is up to temp you can hardly even notice any condensate dripping off the hood. But the pre heater drips like crazy I get somewhere around 50 gal per hour.
    Keith

I am building a small steam hood for my small arch. My hood is 24" w x48" long and 20" tall. It slopes in at the top to a width of 20". I have a gutter in the bottom to drain any condensation. It covers 4 of the 5 steam pans in a home made arch. ( 2 55 gal drums welded together. Bricked , insulated and AUF. Anyway my main question is, how much stack? I should be able to get 5-10 gph boil on 4 steam pans under the hood. Is there a formula for steam volume? I found 6" telscoping smoke stack pretty reasonable. My hood is all aluminum that I already had, stack needs to be cheap too. I don't know whether to go 6", 8" or fab a 8"x14" square duct. I have another sheet of AL that is 4x12'! Thanks for any input on this subject, hopefully someone sees it on this old thread.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123