+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast

Thread: 09 syrup price ?

Russ, I think the Chinese are as bad or worse off than the US right now. Their govt is cutting interest rates as fast as every other industrialized country lately to stimulate demand. I suspect we buy more of their cheap 'stuff' than anyone else so if we're slowing down they're in the same boat. Also, consider this, unemployment has just begun to rise so we're going to be looking at something like 6+% come spring and likely to go higher by summer before all this 'stimulus' stuff kicks in and the dust settles. The average joe, whether here or in China isn't going to be spending too much money on syrup or syrup flavored goods. Then because of the current price of syrup there will be a whole bunch more taps in the woods than ever before. I think Supply is going to be higher and demand lower for 2009. I hope I'm wrong, I certainly don't want to see the price go down because we plan on going 'commercial' this year, but there is certainly some rough sledding ahead.
    2 x 6 Grimm raised flue for 2012 season. Rebuilding a 3 x 13 for 2013. 51 Ford 8N, St. Bernard, 30+ chickens.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/cardigan99/

I know we are getting toward our goal, and when we get there we will be dropping our rate. We usaully go to what we think the prices will be if there is a bumper crop. In conversations I have had that will most likely be around 3.00 a lb. to start with and then adjusted to a more firm price when it is known how much of a crop is out there and how much the world market has dwindled due to the higher prices, which it has, atleast from our experience so far. As many of you already know we had to make a blend syrup out of Maple and Cane to keep our largest customer both from the cost and the availability of the syrup. Had we not done this, they would have been serving Vermont Maid
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

I know we are getting toward our goal, and when we get there we will be dropping our rate. We usaully go to what we think the prices will be if there is a bumper crop. In conversations I have had that will most likely be around 3.00 a lb. to start with and then adjusted to a more firm price when it is known how much of a crop is out there and how much the world market has dwindled due to the higher prices, which it has, atleast from our experience so far. As many of you already know we had to make a blend syrup out of Maple and Cane to keep our largest customer both from the cost and the availability of the syrup. Had we not done this, they would have been serving Vermont Maid
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

– Thomas Edison

I guess I am studdering, I don't know how that happened

– Thomas Edison

802, are you 'under contract' to sell X number of gallons?
    2 x 6 Grimm raised flue for 2012 season. Rebuilding a 3 x 13 for 2013. 51 Ford 8N, St. Bernard, 30+ chickens.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/cardigan99/

Nope, no contract to sell, my job is to buy. We gave up many contracts this year as we could not fill them, so that took the pressure off the other end of the plant and salesmen and women. I am still looking though, under every rock and bush for more syrup.

– Thomas Edison

I sell 98% of my syrup retail. I wont be going down on price, if any thing It will go up a little. I just have to keep in mind if the price is to high some customers may shy away from buying and go without.

Jerry I just got back from my parents house and mentioned the ll bean syrup to them and they told me they were there last week and saw vermont labels on the jugs. But funny thing was the ad in the flyer was showing made maple syrup from maine tapped trees. I could care less, just thought it was interesting.

So you must have missed a rock. I just turned over a piece of sheet metal and found 10 more drums full!!!

802 Maple some of the syrup at Beans is Brown Family from VT. Took me a bit to remember. And yes I do believe Butternut Mountain also had syrup there. They also could be packaging the Maine syrup as well.
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

I know some of Butternuts could be Maine syrup as they also buy up there.

Matt- I didn't think about sheet metal, I guess I have to make another run. There is alot of sheetmetal out there, maybe it will drive the price down if I start looking there.

– Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast